• EMD rebuilds with "Dash-2" electrics

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by USRailFan

I know the Illinois Central GP11s and SD20s got 645 power assemblies and "Dash-2" electrics when they were rebuilt, as did the Santa Fe SD26s and the GTW GP9Rs. What about the SCL GP16s and the CN/CP GP7/GP9 rebuilds, did any of these get "Dash-2" electrics as well? And did any other first-gen rebuilds get Dash-2 electrics as part of upgrades?

by USRailFan

Oh well, I guess there weren't any then.
  by dash7

USRailFan wrote:I know the Illinois Central GP11s and SD20s got 645 power assemblies and "Dash-2" electrics when they were rebuilt, as did the Santa Fe SD26s and the GTW GP9Rs. What about the SCL GP16s and the CN/CP GP7/GP9 rebuilds, did any of these get "Dash-2" electrics as well? And did any other first-gen rebuilds get Dash-2 electrics as part of upgrades?
hi, in the "diesel spotters guide update " under the Capital rebuild program it mentions that the sd26 and gp 16s got a partial dash -2 upgrade and recieved an ar10 to go with a woodward govenor as well as central air intakes, UP# 3999 "sd26-2" was the test-bed but was doomed to fail as it was not deemed "economicly viable" and UP and the Omaha program tried other electrical experiments but under CRP it was too costly.also the Pudacah geep the gp10 did infact recieve full dash-2 electronics plus central air filtration back in 78', and as far as i know about the SCL geeps they got a nose chop and a partial dash 2 upgrade to reduce transition when in yard operations. cheers dash7 :P

by USRailFan

So does anyone know if the CP and CN GP7/GP9 rebuilds got Dash-2 electrics as well?

by dash7

USRailFan wrote:So does anyone know if the CP and CN GP7/GP9 rebuilds got Dash-2 electrics as well?
As far as i know the CN rebuilt their gp9's and 7's with only light modifications to alter their electrical cabinets there were three groups :the GR418 (road unit uprated to 1850 hp) these were ballasted for road work to no's #4000-4032 then there were the yard units used for kicking cars which were also re-rated to 1850hp known as the GY418 no's #7200-7216 , then they had modifications made to their electrical cabinets in which it had a field limit feature fitted for slow hump operations on both classes dash-2 was considered but was withdrawn as it was deemed too expensive, their dynamic brakes were also removed and a central air intake was placed inside the dynamic brake blister and the final light units also GY418 for branch line work #4100-4108 which recieved the same treatment but fitted with spark arrestors and all units got nose a chop and ALCo style windsheilds but as far as CP im not sure , sorry! :-D dash7

by USRailFan

How about the Alaska Railroad GP7Ls? They were boosted to 1800hp suggesting 645 power assemblies, did they get Dash 2-electrics as well? Considering that they were refurbished at Paducah around the same time as the IC GP11s I guess it isn't completely unlikely?

by dash7

USRailFan wrote:How about the Alaska Railroad GP7Ls? They were boosted to 1800hp suggesting 645 power assemblies, did they get Dash 2-electrics as well? Considering that they were refurbished at Paducah around the same time as the IC GP11s I guess it isn't completely unlikely?
i looked on the alaskan rr pages and found that the geeps did recieve Paducah geeps that were rebuilt in 76' and some had the angular cab fitted as well as a nose chop with high centre windsheilds and number boards placed on the nose and internaly they DID have dash-2 solid state modules fitted as with the last batch of gp8',gp10's and 11's so i was wrong about the last batch of paducah rebuilds i also noticed they rode on trade-in aar type trucks from alco trade-ins the same fitted to the first batch of GM&O gp30's.the alaskan units also had winternization hatches fitted at ARR shops in anchoridge as well as home made snow sheilds (that were later removed)on the central air intake.also there doesnt seem to be any left on their roster as most of them went to short lines south of canada. :-) dash7

by dash7

dash7 wrote:
USRailFan wrote:How about the Alaska Railroad GP7Ls? They were boosted to 1800hp suggesting 645 power assemblies, did they get Dash 2-electrics as well? Considering that they were refurbished at Paducah around the same time as the IC GP11s I guess it isn't completely unlikely?
i looked on the alaskan rr pages and found that the geeps did recieve Paducah geeps that were rebuilt in 76' and some had the angular cab fitted as well as a nose chop with high centre windsheilds and number boards placed on the nose and internaly they DID have dash-2 solid state modules fitted as with the last batch of gp8',gp10's and 11's so i was wrong about the last batch of paducah rebuilds i also noticed they rode on trade-in aar type trucks from alco trade-ins the same fitted to the first batch of GM&O gp30's.the alaskan units also had winternization hatches fitted at ARR shops in anchoridge as well as home made snow sheilds (that were later removed)on the central air intake.also there doesnt seem to be any left on their roster as most of them went to short lines south of canada. :-) dash7
oh and i forgot to mention that the alaskan units did recieve 645 powre assemblies

by dash7

dash7 wrote:
oh and i forgot to mention that the alaskan units did recieve 645 power assemblies according to the second diesel spotters guide

by DutchRailnut

Putting 645 power assemblies in a 567 engine does not do anything unless a larger generator is put on , yes engine could produce 2000 hp but if the Generator is still 1750 hp it won't produce the ponies.
Same with so called dash 2 electronics yes it will replace a few relays and change exitation stuff, including wheel slip circuits but unless matching alternator is used the Dash 2 won't do much.

by dash7

DutchRailnut wrote:Putting 645 power assemblies in a 567 engine does not do anything unless a larger generator is put on , yes engine could produce 2000 hp but if the Generator is still 1750 hp it won't produce the ponies.
Same with so called dash 2 electronics yes it will replace a few relays and change exitation stuff, including wheel slip circuits but unless matching alternator is used the Dash 2 won't do much.
I was just quoting what i had read in "diesel locomotive spotters guide update"but they did mention they mated the upgraded engine with the ar10 and partial dash-2 upgrade but i don't know much about that part of it. if you know could you please explain this to me? i would appreciate it, as i sort of know the basics of it as with all locomotive components jack of all trades but master of none!! i read what i can here in australia (sydney) and in the US to me the best locomotive manufacturers in the world!! maybe i say that because i was born in Orlando,FL!!! thanks; :-D dash7

by DutchRailnut

Look at it as no matter how big the motor on a waterpump, you can put a oversized motor on same waterpump it just won't handle more water.
and even if you put bigger motor and a bigger waterpump it is of no use unless the watersystem and faucets can handle more water(electric system and traction motors).

by dash7

DutchRailnut wrote:Look at it as no matter how big the motor on a waterpump, you can put a oversized motor on same waterpump it just won't handle more water.
and even if you put bigger motor and a bigger waterpump it is of no use unless the watersystem and faucets can handle more water(electric system and traction motors).
i do know these basics but what i was refering to was about partial dash-2 upgrades, i meant what part was upgraded?did they replace contactors with modular boards or did they upgrade engine management? or was it transition related? what your trying to say is that you can't mate an ar10 with emd16710g3c as it would be a total waste! thanks ; :-D dash7

by DutchRailnut

A dash 2 locomotive does not make transition, the traction motors are in permanent parralel, the partial Dash-2 is mainly wheelslip control.
I don't know specifics of generator numbers but 90% of all Dash 2 locomotives had alternators, not generators. so the control would need to be completely revamped.
As for that AR10 alternator just as in my example of waterpump the bigger pump(alternator ) has no influence on horsepower unless all cables and traction motors are upgraded too.
By doing all that you would pretty much exceed the weight limit of GP7/8 frame.
  by dash7

thanks for that i know what you mean now, ie;re dash-2 ,thanks again ; :-D dash7