• EMD Dual-Mode Locomotive Proposal

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Pensyfan19

After wandering the vast lands of Facebook, I found the proposal of EMD's Dual Mode locomotive appear on the EMD Builder's Photos page again, this time with some blue on its side. This design was based on the DM30AC and was rejected in favor of the ALP-45. Does anyone have any more information about this proposal and what other companies submitted Dual-Mode proposals for NJT?

https://www.facebook.com/EMDPictures/ph ... =3&theater

Here is the image in case if it does not load on the link.
  by Backshophoss

A design variant of the LIRR DM-30 thankfully never built
  by amtrakowitz

Wow; been following developments for quite a few decades and never heard of this proposal. Is it real rather than a railfan concoction (which the graphic bearing the NJT slogan that everyone hates seems to indicate)? If real, it sure got buried very, very deeply.
  by Pensyfan19

amtrakowitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:47 pm Wow; been following developments for quite a few decades and never heard of this proposal. Is it real rather than a railfan concoction (which the graphic bearing the NJT slogan that everyone hates seems to indicate)? If real, it sure got buried very, very deeply.
I believe this was real, since it was from EMD Builder's Photo facebook page which usually has concept art of proposed locomotives that never came to fruition, but was likely rejected quickly if there was this little attention from it.
  by lensovet

I don't think this was ever submitted. Also just to be clear that Facebook page is not an official page:
This is a private site and not operating as a commercial business. These photos were obtained thru sellers on Internet selling sites. These photos are in a private collection. The vast majority of the photos were taken by the company staff at EMD.
  by Backshophoss

Be greatful that never left the design studio,NJT went with BBD ,built in Germany instead of stateside.
  by MattW

I can't speak mechanically, but visually, that's actually a decent looking locomotive.
  by Bracdude181

@MattW I’m sure these would’ve been far more reliable than the nasty ALP45s they went with instead.
  by Dcell

"Nasty" and not reliable? I've not experienced an engine breakdown on my commutes with the ALP-45 engines. Have I been lucky?