• ECP Braking

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by slchub

Hmmmm...on the UP we have already had bulletins about the Knorr CCB and potential for faults. I do not think I like having a computer determine just how much air I want released. I can see it now. My conductor having to walk 78 cars back in a snow storm to find that some electronic module on an old hopper is bad. NYB states trains can go faster, but I doubt with the current mess out here and system velocity it would increase. And while I'm griping, why did Timekeeping deny my run-around when the company made so much money last quarter off of my back?!

by jg greenwood

slchub wrote:Hmmmm...on the UP we have already had bulletins about the Knorr CCB and potential for faults. I do not think I like having a computer determine just how much air I want released. I can see it now. My conductor having to walk 78 cars back in a snow storm to find that some electronic module on an old hopper is bad. NYB states trains can go faster, but I doubt with the current mess out here and system velocity it would increase. And while I'm griping, why did Timekeeping deny my run-around when the company made so much money last quarter off of my back?!
"Supposedly," train speed will be increased due to reduced braking distances. Again, "supposedly," due to the reduced distances, more trains, closer together. IIRC, the BNSF has operated some test-trains (unit) utilizing ECP braking with phenomenal results.
Your run-around? That's what they (timekeeping) do best! :wink:

by LCJ

jg greenwood wrote:Your run-around? That's what they (timekeeping) do best! :wink:
I think I heard somewhere that timekeepers back in the paper timesheet days had to agree to having a "Claim Denied" stamp surgically attached to their hand. Probably now the system default is "Denied" unless someone purposely approves a claim.

After all, slchub, that's one of the reasons earnings are up! You should be proud of your contribution to that worthy cause. Are you saying that no one tells you how much they appreciate it? Wow! I'm surprised (not).

An ECP system that is able to stand up to the operating conditions of North American freight railroads would be an accomplishment worth mentioning. Unit trains maybe -- but equipment that gets uncoupled repeatedly and banged around in a class yard would be a true test.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Why did the company deny you? Easy, "No Basis for Claim". My favorite four words, from UP timekeeping............ :P

by jz441

slchub wrote: why did Timekeeping deny my run-around when the company made so much money last quarter off of my back?!
That is why they made so much...... :wink:

Don’t worry, BNSF doesn't pay the claims either, and morale is worse than ever.

by slchub

Thanks for laugh guys. After getting up here in the AFHT I needed that. Another all nighter, but hey, I enjoy the sunrise.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Could be worse. They could be denying your "held-away" pay.......... :(

by slchub

It gets worse! So your in say Yermo, right at about 14 hours, your 1st out, you look at the line up, see a nice intermodal on the line up about 3 hours out. Will they let you sit at the clubhouse and watch the ball game and collect your held-away? Nope, you get called to report 5 minutes before you are to get held-away, then you sit and rot three hours in the yard office waiting for your train. Then to make it even more fun, the crew that was called 5 hours earlier to put together the manifest gets traded to your 70 mph train, and you get the dog going home since you still have 9 hours left! Ahhhhh....the life of the railroad. Would not rade it for anything!

LOL

by LCJ

ECP! ECP!