• Dwarf signals at DeWitt depot

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CP169

I'm hoping one of you NYC guys can answer this. Why did the NYC put dwarf signals westward just to the west of the DeWitt depot, CP 286 is a signal bridge and CP 285 is also. Knowing the winters there all to well, it must be a pain to keep them clear. I don't know what was there prior to '62.

by Noel Weaver

The westbound speed at CP-285 was and is 30 MPH. The low signals
there are considered high signals for the rules, they are just mounted on
the ground at that particular location.
Noel Weaver

by RSD15

one reason may have been that right at the CP 285 dwarfs was a fuel station and crew change point. quite a few westbounds would stop there to refuel and almost all stopped for a fresh crew.i assume it is easier to see a dwarf indication than it is a bridge mount when a train is pulled up tight as train crews did there.

noel i dont have a CSX time table,but that 30 might be gone now as the east syracuse station has been torn down along with the platforms and canopy.

--------charles

by Otto Vondrak

When was the station torn down?

-otto-

by CP169

New station was built near near I81 and the mall. Get's dicey when 2 Amtraks are there at the same time. One of them has to wait out on the main line until the other one leaves.

by Howiew

I remember when the station in East Syracuse was being built and first put into service.

by Noel Weaver

RSD15 wrote:one reason may have been that right at the CP 285 dwarfs was a fuel station and crew change point. quite a few westbounds would stop there to refuel and almost all stopped for a fresh crew.i assume it is easier to see a dwarf indication than it is a bridge mount when a train is pulled up tight as train crews did there.

noel i dont have a CSX time table,but that 30 might be gone now as the east syracuse station has been torn down along with the platforms and canopy.

--------charles
Actually, now that you bring it to our attention, I should have stated that
the freight train speed in that area was and still is 30 MPH. It was that
under Conrail in 1997 when I retired and it still is under CSX.
Passenger speed in that particular area in 1997 under Conrail as well as
today under CSX was and is 40 MPH. I never ran passenger trains in this
territory.
I should have stated it in my original posting on this matter.
Noel Weaver

by O-6-O

Otto; The station grounds are just being cleaned up by a contractor. I went by there Fri 4/1 and all thats left is a concrete slab. Will still be a
good place to fan unless they restrict access to the area. I don't know if
anything is slated to be built on the site.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-

by SRS125

Old Amtrak Station was gone when I was over that way about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Train speed increased to about 50 m.p.h. shortley after the old Amtrak had Station closed all thow I would beleve that most crews did not top over 40 till the head end had passed the platform.

by RSD15

the station was down by the end of jan 2005 and the rest of the freight and support buildings by march.
the area is now in the hands of a trucking firm that is not happy with unauthorized people on their property.rumor is that some sort of shopping center will be built there witch may provide easy access to the main line.

by SRS125

oh yeah that Santario owns the property he got out of the State Contracts
and no longer dose Road counstuction for New York or North Carolina. He is in the relistate biz now.

by RSD15

can someone explain the significance of the green over green signal indication displayed at these dwarfs? why isnt a green over red indication displayed for clear?

charles

by shlustig

RSD15:

Prior to the TCS (CTC) installations, the standard "Clear" high-signal on NYC Lines East was Green-over-Green. This remained so on the Hudson Division and Harlem Division.

Under the NYC signal system, we were to be able to reproduce any signal indication on a dwarf that could be displayed on a high signal. For a two-arm low signal, Green-over-Green = Clear; Green-over-Red = Slow Clear; Green-over-Flasing Red = Medium clear; and Flashing Green-over-Red = Limited Clear.

by LCJ

I recall a story about a sorrowful conductor who was riding the rear platform of a business car with RBH as the train was reversing through a former NYC Lines East interlocking. The conductor called a double green dwarf as "slow clear." He did that in the presence of the wrong VP!

by WNYRailfan

The E. Syracuse pics on my site are from July 2003

I figured this would someday be demolished with a new station being built.http://photos.yahoo.com/BugBoy1998_1999