• duel cabe control stands

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by SRS125

I was wondering do the contols on Locomotives equiped with duel control stands if moved or turnd on, on one control such as the reverser, selecter, and outher lighted buttens be seen moveing as they turn on and
off as they are being used on the outher control stand or is there a switch to shut the 2ed control stand off.

by Typewriters

In general, I think the answer is no. Unless you're talking about a locomotive with a duplex controller.

The control stands are separate in dual control locomotives. Each has its own multi-switch drum to give throttle signal inputs, for example. When one stand is being used, the other is, for lack of a better term, ignored by the locomotive control system. Movement of one throttle lever on one stand does nothing to the throttle on the other stand; they're not connected mechanically at all. Just the same way that control stands in trailing units do not do anything.... or, to be accurate and respond to your question, the same in that the throttles in trailing units don't move either.

However, there were some units built with what was referred to as a "duplex controller." You might check the old ALCO strings for this, concerning the C-415 and the C-430/630 units on the Reading. In this setup, the control stand is one large box in the center of the cab. Moving one throttle lever on one side moves a linkage connected to both the actual throttle drum itself and to the throttle lever on the other side. This type of equipment was, I understand, extremely unusual. The vast majority of dual control locomotives would be as described in the earlier paragraph.

Check out the Fallen Flags site, which has numerous locomotive manuals there. A good one is the one for Fairbanks-Morse road switchers, as it shows the setup for both single and dual controls, and I believe gives the complete description for changing from operating from one control stand to the other. You'll see how it works by reading that information.

-Will Davis

by mxdata

Exactly, Will. Changing between dual control stands is very much like changing ends on a push pull commuter train. The stand not in use has to have all the controls properly "parked" before you set up the other stand for control.