• Dover - basic question

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by ChrisNH

Hi,

I was just down there today to try to get a few pics to help with my model RR. I appreciate this thread, helped me understand the fragments I saw.

One question, is freight #2 double ended or stub?

The bridge repair is complete and as others have indicated, I can verify it has no walkway. Its hard to get pics of the yard. It looks like freight 1 and 2 (I presume thats which they are from the descript above) have siginficantly less ballast.

I did try to see if I could look down on the yard from the observation tower on Garrison Hill but, alas, trees block that view. I will have my wife drive me over the bridge sometime so I can snap some photos from the passenger side as we cross.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Chris

PS - one other question.. this article here
http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Ridge ... vernh.html

Describes a glass bottle plant in Dover that took sand from NHN in 1998. Is this correct, did such a plant exist? I have no memory of such and worked in Dover at the time. I am looking for some believable online industries to fluff up traffic in the are for my model.

by Dick H

Dover "freight #2" track is a double ended siding. Sometimes there is track equipment parked on the west end. The east end switch to freight #2 is east of the trailer, beside the pottery shop parking lot.

I think the "glass plant" referred to must the pottery company in the former engine house building. To my knowledge, they have never got any material from the NHN.

You can drive down into the parking lot of the pottery shop down to close to the crew trailer , but there is a no trespassing sign at the trailer. However, the parking lot is at a lower elevation than the yard, so your views won't be very good.

Dick