• Double-Deckers at BET

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by WonderlandMan

Now, I don't know much about the commuter rail but I have this question. I was going by BET on the orange line about a week ago and I noticed outside parked was a consist with a few double-decker coaches outside. Now correct me If I'm wrong, but double-deck consists are not operating on the northside anymore, right? So what were they doing at BET? Thanks for the info.

by iandavid

Sounds like the new Kawasakis that just came into town. I think they're still awaiting testing. There's more in the New Kawasaki Coach Questions thread.

by jwhite07

Not only are the four new Kawasakis there, but it's quite common to see older Kawasakis sitting around at BET as well. BET is, after all, the primary maintenance facility for the Commuter Rail system, and the coach shop there handles everything in the fleet.

By the way, BET is officially known as CRMF, or Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility. But folks still call it by its old name. Kinda like people I hear insisting on referring to the Fleet Center as "the Gahden".

by WonderlandMan

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought BET was north-side matience only. Thanks again

by CRail

There are alwayse kawasaki's comming through the BET. Inspections, trackwork, you name it. It is the main equipment facility for the system, not just the north side.

by ST214

Have any more of the 900's showed up yet, or is it still just the lone four???

by CSX Conductor

I looked in the computer to see if there were anymore a couple weeks ago and came up empty. I will try again next time I work. :-)

by Porter Sq

saw 900,901,902 at BET with a GP-40 Pushing forget the loco # they were on the track going up to the fuel depot around 9:10 this morning and they look nice and shiny but not for long.

by AEM7AC920

I caught the new cars this afternoon near the fuel racks also but with a GP40MC shoving. The cars look identical to the old one's.

by CSX Conductor

one of the (902 maybe) was parked in SouthHamptonStreet last night. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

Saw it again this morning, it is in fact the 902. It is parked just across from South Bay Tower(trailer, lol) and connected to ground power.

(If on the Fairmount Line it is on the right heading outbound, just after the crossing at the west end of the freezer & the S&I building.)

by Stephen

As with yesterday morning, GP40MC 1139, 900, 901, and 903 were on the Valley track at the BET this morning.
- Stephen