• Does SEPTA still honor airline tickets as train fare?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MACTRAXX

Jeff: The underpass between the 30th street MFSE/Sub-surface lines and the Amtrak station was closed due to the fact that they were a mugger and vandal's paradise of sorts. It was somewhat elaborate: There were TWO escalators/staircases on the Amtrak end. If you look carefully in the hallway leading towards the SW corner of 30th St Sta.,you will notice the difference in the stone floor. The descent underneath was quite long and deep-under the west end tracks above and then going up more stairs/escalator to the E end of the MFSE station. It also was a jurisdiction problem-with Amtrak and SEPTA bickering on how to patrol it. I recall it was done in the 1978-1982 period. Another thing I recall was that the entire S end of 30th street station was renovated and opened in the 80s. The SW end was just strictly a street exit once you got past the elevators to the offices at the station. It is just a short walk outside between the SW end of the Amtrak station and the SEPTA MFSE station-shorter than the underground connection. If you go to track level on tracks 9/10 and know where to look,you can see the enclosures to this connection going down underneath. It was actually longer to use this now closed connection. Memories and observations from MACTRAXX

by MACTRAXX

Jeff: I neglected to mention what the area of that platform was: just south of the south main staircase to tracks 9/10 at 30th St. The enclosures for the now-closed passageways go down at an angle behind track 11-the thru track that parallels track 10. I almost never train-watch anymore-especially underground-at 30th street unless I have a reason for being there.Also-you can look if a NJT train is boarding on that platform for example and there is not equipment on tracks 10/11. Where this passageway comes up to the MFSE concourse level,it is a walled-off area in the NE corner of the station adjacent to the current E end staircase to the N side of Market street. Hope this answers all-MACTRAXX

by JeffK

EXCELLENT info - thanks!