Railroad Forums 

• Does Humidity Affect Locomotive engines?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1574941  by Denver Dude

Here in the west it gets into the 90s, but it's very dry. Back east, though, a much different story. I bet that humidity affects pollution emitted, but I was wondering if humidity increases engine eat or causes performance problems.
In Saudi Arabia, temps in the 90s can feel like 178 - in the shade! But I don't know if a diesel would "feel" that heat, or if it would run according to the air temp. My guess is that the humidity wouldn't matter. Any thoughts?
 #1574943  by chrisf

Denver Dude wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:42 pm Here in the west it gets into the 90s, but it's very dry. Back east, though, a much different story. I bet that humidity affects pollution emitted, but I was wondering if humidity increases engine eat or causes performance problems.
In Saudi Arabia, temps in the 90s can feel like 178 - in the shade! But I don't know if a diesel would "feel" that heat, or if it would run according to the air temp. My guess is that the humidity wouldn't matter. Any thoughts?
“Feels like” temperatures do not affect inanimate objects, whether hot or cold. Humidity does affect the rate of evaporation, but cooling systems are closed so humidity isn’t a factor when cooling an engine.
More humid air will have a bit less oxygen than drier air, so there might be a decrease in power output in hot, humid weather as compared to hot, dry weather.