• Does G pay for MBTA tack rights?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by l008com

A friend and I were on a bike ride today and watched the gravel train go down the lowell line. She then said that she wondered how much they have to pay to use the tracks. I explained that G is actually B&M, and the tracks were actually laid by them before there was public transportation, and so they probably have 'free' access to all their old lines that are now MBTA lines. I'm I right, or does G pay something to use these lines, to help maintain them. (yes I used 'G' and 'maintain' in the same sentence :-) )

by Cowford

G/BM/PAR does, in fact, pay for their rights under a perpetual agreement with MBTA.

by l008com

Oh i see. How much? :-)

by Engineer Spike

B&M sold many of the lines, in the Boston area to the T in the 70s. This was when B&M was bankrupt.

by Noel Weaver

l008com wrote:Oh i see. How much? :-)
Probably a set amount per car per mile.
Noel Weaver

by cpf354

Noel Weaver wrote:
l008com wrote:Oh i see. How much? :-)
Probably a set amount per car per mile.
Noel Weaver
The terms of the sale of the routes to the state in 1976 were that the B&M would have free and perpetual rights to conduct freight service. If they do pay the state, it's strictly for maintenance, and much of that may be defrayed by providing dispatching services over the outer portions of the northside lines.

by sery2831

They must owe something, since they are working on 3 F40s for the MBTA to pay down some money that is owed to the T.

by Engineer Spike

Working on locomotives probably does not have anything to do with it. Guilford does have a very well equiped shop. I suspect that the engines needed work, which the T was not equiped to handle.
I have seen shortlines, like the Housatonic send units to Guilford for wheel work.

by sery2831

Yes, Guilford has a great shop there, look at the dinosaurs they keep alive!!! I understand that the big G is doing this work for the MBTA for no charge to pay down mileage they owe.