• Does a Modern Green Line REQUIRE Turnarounds at Ends?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Porter Sq

Arlington wrote:Thanks for the swift answers--I hope we see plans soon (even conceptual ones) from the MBTA which show a stub track. I think my ideal would be one that was actually in between relocated (spread apart) Lowell line tracks, thereby facilitating a cross-platform transfer both to/from the Lowell Line.

The political realities at the West Medford end (read: 50/50 split of pro- and anti- extension) mean that if a West Medford terminus is to be built, it will be more likely to be built...

1) As a stub end pretty much confined within the existing 4-track-wide right of way (of which the Lowell line has two central tracks today)--so help me spread the word that no loop is needed! There are businesses on either side of the ROW that will be relieved to know that they won't be knocked for a loop!

2) Without crossing over to the north of Route 60 (High Street) so as not to exacerbate the current traffic tie-ups caused by the Lowell Line's crossing gates. There is plenty of scruffy land to the south of Route 60 between the Mystic River, Medford's Canal Street, and High Street (including, in some places a 5+ track wide ROW at Canal).

3) Certainly without taking the parkland to the north of Route 60 for tracks/yards when (a) the NIMBYs would totally freak and (b) there is real existing brownfield rail yard space available at Lechemere
All of these problems can be solved with a couple soulutions.
#2 Build a cut and tunnel for the Lowell line to go under Canal and High St. The CR would get a new station. It will be in the same place, but will be in the open cut. From High St to Canal st would be a tunnel. Above ground the Green Line station with small yard. Now with this you have eliminated Grade crossings on High St but not Canal.

by Ron Newman

Can this be done without shutting down the Lowell Line for months?

by octr202

That would be highly disruptive and very expensive. Also, the Lowell Line is the freight line for GRS into Boston...a tunnel would have to be pretty long to keep the grades in moderation.