Railroad Forums 

• Do railroads use "Programmable logic controllers" PLC's?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1055242  by matawanaberdeen

I know its a long shot to get an answer but I wanted to ask anyway, do railroads use PLC's in their shops or perhaps in troubleshooting Locomotives? I know this is the more technical side of the railroad but I thought someone might know. I am currently in an "Electronics technician" course, 12 more exams and I'm finally done! It was long and rough but I'm nearing the finish line. I want to take a PLC [programmable logic controller] course and was wondering if railroads had jobs for this type of training? Again I know this is a long shot in getting an answer, but thanks to anyone if they can.
 #1057789  by Dexterbateman

The short answer is no, why I have no idea. The new emd locomotives use a windows base operating system and the ge's use something similar. Its not like an Allen Bradley slc 500 or control logix's plc or the many types out there, those are industry standards. For some reason you can't access any of the programs and troubleshoot a problem, I know pretty stupid but that the railway for you, even the signal department doesn't use tradition plc's, the railway has it's own bastardized version of a plc and learning with industry standard equipement will probaly confuse you if you come here. Its not a bad idea but it won't really help you here, they don't have plc experts working for the railway or I would be one by now, it's good to know outside the railway if you don't like it here. hope that helps
 #1057819  by matawanaberdeen

Dexterbateman wrote:The short answer is no, why I have no idea. The new emd locomotives use a windows base operating system and the ge's use something similar. Its not like an Allen Bradley slc 500 or control logix's plc or the many types out there, those are industry standards. For some reason you can't access any of the programs and troubleshoot a problem, I know pretty stupid but that the railway for you, even the signal department doesn't use tradition plc's, the railway has it's own bastardized version of a plc and learning with industry standard equipement will probaly confuse you if you come here. Its not a bad idea but it won't really help you here, they don't have plc experts working for the railway or I would be one by now, it's good to know outside the railway if you don't like it here. hope that helps
Well that was awesome, and enlightening, thank you very much. I never expected a response so that is cool. I really want to work on the signals as a signal maintainer, or on Locomotive electronics. I prefer very much to working for NJ Transit but I mean they are impossible to break into. Based on what you said maybe the "Electronics technician" course is enough to work on Locomotive electronics or signals. I just need NJT to give me a break, well I need to graduate too. I have my basic electronics diploma, just need 12 more exams for my ET diploma. Thank you very much again for the info, I truly appreciate that.
 #1069471  by vcj5864

Railroad Signal systems primarily use VHLC and NVHLC with some PLC type systems beginning to be used. There are still some relay based systems out there too!I have been a Sgnal Electronics Technician for two years and a Signal Maintainer prior. Maintainers are a seniority based position that you have to bid on and are primarily filled from the Signalman and Assistant Signalman ranks. To become an E.T. you must first obtain an ISCET certification which should not be an issue for you. BNSF has been known to hire E.T.'s "off the street" but ussually you start as an assistant Signalman and bid on these jobs based on seniority and certification status. I began as an Assistant Signalman in 2006 and was put through the Railroad Electronics program by BNSF at their expense. Just short of 7 years, I have been offered a Maintenance FLS position. With a good Electronics aptitude, strong work ethic there is a lot of advancement opportunity. I would strongly encourage anyone who likes this line of work to pursue a career in Railroad Signaling. Be willing to relocate though. Once you secure the right position, the Signal Maintenance jobs allow you to always be at home. But, to move up you will have to relocate. You don't have to though. Signal Maintainer, Signal Inspector and E.T. jobs are awesome careers.
 #1069886  by matawanaberdeen

Thanks vcj5864, that was very thorough. I would LOVE to start as a signal maintainer, that is what i keep sending in my application for at a local commuter railroad in my state, but no bits yet. I also haven't graduated yet either, I have probably 8 to 12 weeks to go. I read on BNSF's website that you need to be certified by the ISCET, which is fine but I joined the bigger brother Electronics certification association, the ETA. Would they except certification from the ETA as well you think? I guess it doesn't matter because i don't live anywhere near BNSF, but was just curious about that? I want to work for a commuter RR really, not a fan of travel that freight RR's do. Thanks for the help, I appreciate the reply.
 #1070069  by vcj5864

I also did ETA first and BNSF would not accept for whatever reason. However, I just took the ISCET test (which is pretty much identical) to satisfy them. If you consider applying for BNSF at any time though, I would suggest contacting ISCET, as I think they practice direct recriprocity with ETA and will grant you their certificate for a small fee based on your ETA credentials.
 #1071142  by matawanaberdeen

vcj5864 wrote:I also did ETA first and BNSF would not accept for whatever reason. However, I just took the ISCET test (which is pretty much identical) to satisfy them. If you consider applying for BNSF at any time though, I would suggest contacting ISCET, as I think they practice direct recriprocity with ETA and will grant you their certificate for a small fee based on your ETA credentials.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. It is very strange to be honest that they only except certification from ISCET, and not the bigger, more established, association. I just find that odd, but not a big deal in the end.
My goal really, was, and is to get my diploma, pass the ETA's CETa certification, and get a signal maintainer job at NJ Transit here in NJ, but they just seem like the hardest RR to break into for what ever reason. I'll still try for it, and hope for the best though.
Thanks again for the help, and information, I appreciate it.
 #1629482  by ChuckD

I am a Rail Signal Engineer, and unless I am missing something in regards to your question, PLCs are 100% used with rail signaling. Within each signal house (CIL/CIH), there is a standalone PLC rack. It maintains and controls the relay logic to eliminate the possibility of an "Uncle Fester" moment (this is when Uncle Fester from the original Adams Family TV show would cause head-on train collisions with his model train set).
 #1635298  by tecocraftuk

In my experience, railroads do use PLCs in their shops, especially for troubleshooting locomotives. It's a pretty technical field, and having PLC skills can definitely open up job opportunities. Taking a PLC course sounds like a smart move. I've heard of folks landing jobs in railroads after such training, so it's not as much of a long shot as you might think.