• Do any C32-8s still exist?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

As far as I know, there are quite a few of them still in existence, albeit in storage lines... for how much longer, I don't know...
  by kalvingp30fan

I had to edit my post i meant c32-8, the Conrail only locomotives used in the Ballast Express.
  by MEC407

In that case, I'm not sure how many (if any) are still left. The pics in your first message are C39s.

At least one C32-8 was operating in Brazil as of September '06: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GE_C32-8_BF_9339.JPG

It's looking like most of them were scrapped, though.
  by MEC407

That unit is a B32-8.
  by kalvingp30fan

I didnt think that there were any B32-8's?
  by MEC407

kalvingp30fan wrote:I didnt think that there were any B32-8's?
Yes, there were about 50 of them built if I remember correctly.
  by scottychaos

Only 10 C32-8's ever existed, all built for Conrail.

Only two C32-8 are believed surviving, the unit in Brazil..
and BDLX 8466 in Georgia..
(although im not sure if the Georgia unit still survives..last sightings I could find on-line are from 2005,
and there was some talk that it might be scrapped, but I never saw that confirmed..it might still be out there!)

a few languished at RMDI in Pittston, PA for a few years, but all are now scrapped.

so only two probable survivors, out of 10 built.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 512&nseq=4

Scot
  by Allen Hazen

MEC407 wrote:
kalvingp30fan wrote:I didnt think that there were any B32-8's?
Yes, there were about 50 of them built if I remember correctly.

The three pre-production Dash-8 test units in Burlington Northern colors (built 1984, with round cab roof) (called "B32-8"), plus 45 for Norfolk Southern and one retained as a test-demonstrator unit by GE (built late 1989, with square cab roof) (called "Dash-8 32B"). Plus, of course, Amtrak's 20 "Dash-8 32BWH" (built in 1991, with "North American" cab). Still rare enough that one could easily overlook them!
  by kalvingp30fan

i know the only C32's were only built for Conrail, also i heard about the one that was in georgia and the ones in brazil.
  by PortoAmboim

I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the RMDI C32-8 (BDLX8466) that had been working at Junction City GA was subsequently sold to Brasil Ferrovias/Ferronorte and sent south, where it works as Ferronorte 9339, which would mean only one C32-8 is still in service.
  by MEC407

Thanks for the update, Hugo. :-D