• Dinner on 48 Out of Chicago ??

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by scoostraw

I will be taking 48 this weekend to Albany. The last time I rode, departure was around 7 or 8pm, and dinner was served to sleeper passengers before departing.

Now departure is at 10pm, so I'm wondering what they serve before leaving? I noticed some verbiage that says that sleeping car passengers can board early for food in the diner. But if it's not a full meal I want to be sure and eat before I get on.

Thanks.....
  by Ken W2KB

scoostraw wrote:I will be taking 48 this weekend to Albany. The last time I rode, departure was around 7 or 8pm, and dinner was served to sleeper passengers before departing.

Now departure is at 10pm, so I'm wondering what they serve before leaving? I noticed some verbiage that says that sleeping car passengers can board early for food in the diner. But if it's not a full meal I want to be sure and eat before I get on.

Thanks.....
I rode it a couple months ago with the new time. Not a meal at all, but rather a wine and cheese reception, with the car attendants serving sleeping car passengers at the diner's tables. A meal prior to boarding is in order.

LSL

by jp1822

And welcome to diner lite - your new Amfleet II converted car!

by scoostraw

Are you kidding me? The heritage diners are gone now?

One of the nice things about the viewliner is that it is a heavy ride. And the old diners were too. But man I do not like amfleet cars at all. They are like rolling beer cans on the rails.

Key Ken nice motorcar. I have an M19 myself!

by Conrail Quality

As far as I know, the Heritage diners are still on the Silver trains and the Crescent. But given the past few weeks of Amfleet Diner-Lite, it is entirely possible we will never see them on the Lake Shore again :( .

by Murjax

Conrail Quality wrote:As far as I know, the Heritage diners are still on the Silver trains and the Crescent. But given the past few weeks of Amfleet Diner-Lite, it is entirely possible we will never see them on the Lake Shore again :( .
I think the Silver trains have been using both.

by bingdude

This past Saturday, #49 had a Horizon series dinette.

According to NARP newsletter the Heritages are undergoing rehab at Beech Grove, and that they are due to return.

I am taking 49 this Thursday, so I'll experience it for myself.
  by jp1822

The way I read the NARP bulletin, I found it open to interpretation as to whether they will return or not. I think they should return for basic needs and functionality and use the Amfleet II Diner Lite cars to improve the food service on the long distance "day trains" with the Amfleet II diner-lites. This is what I thought was supposed to happen. But seems otherwise.