Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#27168  by Mercer&Somerset

I know we've discussed this disheartening issue before here and in the NJT light rail forum, but it reared its ugly head again in Friday's Princeton Packet, in the context of funding BRT along Route 1:

It will also evaluate optimizing the existing use of the Dinky train line or possibly converting the right-of-way into a BRT or light-rail alignment. If BRT is recommended for the Dinky line, buses could potentially access corporate and other centers along Route 1 and beyond from the current right-of-way, Mr. Amodei said.
"Consider a BRT system that could be better than the current Dinky train," Mr. Reed said in his comments.
He recommended converting the Dinky line "immediately" as a demonstration project and then extending branches as demand justifies. However, he said a dedicated BRT roadway along the existing Dinky track should be built and the rails not removed until an alternative system has "proved its worth."
Why the obsession with doing away with the Dinky? Is it a big money-loser?

full article here:
http://www.pacpub.com/site/news.cfm?new ... 5695&rfi=6

#27178  by Irish Chieftain

All trains are "big money losers", some more than others. The Dinky is singled out because of singularity of purpose and seeming inflexibility, is all. Let's just say that it won't be anywhere as big of a money-loser as were the ROW converted to a dedicated busway with its much higher maintenance costs and winter cleanup costs (there is a reason why commuters who briefly switch from road to rail during the winter are called "snowbirds" after all)...

#27217  by arrow

I agree with Irish, besides a lot of people (myself included) just don't like to ride buses. Seems like just something else to waste their time on now when everything is going fine over there on the Dinky line.

#27221  by nick11a

arrow wrote:I agree with Irish, besides a lot of people (myself included) just don't like to ride buses. Seems like just something else to waste their time on now when everything is going fine over there on the Dinky line.
And really it seems to be the fastest way to Princeton.

#27229  by Irish Chieftain

One time I "raced" the Dinky from PJ to Princeton station; it beat the tar out of me. I don't anticipate any bus being able to parallel that performance.

Also, with the BRT proposal, the issue of integrated ticketing is not addressed. People would indeed want to use the same ticket on the NEC train as on the connecting service. There's also the issue of the unions, and the BLET will certainly clamp down on any attempts to steal the Dinky.