• Detours done on the NYSW.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by rcbsd45

As per a posting by an NYSW employee on another rail forum, the Q404 and Q403 are now on an all CSX routing and are not operating via the NYSW effective this week. It was fun while it lasted......

by charlie6017

Dammit,
I was looking to get down to Bingo and the Tier and get foliage shots. So, now is it back to just the SU-99/100 and a couple locals? D'OH!!

by Steve F45

what does this mean? No trains running through RP? or west of it? Is it cause of the fine?

by washingtonsecondary

I knew this wouldn't last long. 2 years, bah.

by ANDY117

Are there any CSX trains left?

by njt4172

ANDY117 wrote:Are there any CSX trains left?
On the Tier?? No, zero!

Steve

by charlie6017

So the only traffic left is SU-99/100 and locals?

by njt4172

charlie6017 wrote:So the only traffic left is SU-99/100 and locals?
Yes.....

by Idiot Railfan

Anybody know more details about what happened? At the beginning, this sounded like it was supposed to be a long-term arrangement to the point of NYS&W starting to recruit new crews. They built that new connection just east of Binghamton, which had to have cost a few dollars, money the railroad apparently did not think was worth spending for its own trains.

Was it in reality just a short-term deal or did CSX determine that NYS&W was just not up to the task?

by cjvrr

It was taking 2-3 days to move a train over the NYS&W when CSX could move it the same distance in less than one day. I think once CSX had the Selkirk issue resolved, or under control, they saw the light and switched back to running their own line.

I wonder what penalty they paid the NYS&W for cancelling or changing the contract....

by njt4172

I don't want everyone to lose all hope!! CSX is supposed to be doing a major siding upgrade and possible double tracking of the Riverline between Selkirk and CP 10 sometime in 2006......So, I'm sure that the annual summer CSX detours on the NYSW will begin sometime next year again.....

Steve

by Tri-State Tom

cj -

" I wonder what penalty they paid the NYS&W for cancelling or changing the contract.... "

They'd be paying themselves if they did.

by Lackawanna484

njt4172 wrote:I don't want everyone to lose all hope!! CSX is supposed to be doing a major siding upgrade and possible double tracking of the Riverline between Selkirk and CP 10 sometime in 2006......So, I'm sure that the annual summer CSX detours on the NYSW will begin sometime next year again.....

Steve
CSX has been expanding capacity, lengthening sidings, etc for several years, so this sounds pretty hopeful. Maybe CSX would want to get low priority, not time sensitive trains out of the way.

But, as rcbsd45 notes, taking three days to get a 16 hour train from A to B isn't gonna cut it.

Assuming (and it's a big one) NYSW keeps the speed limit at 35 for the Tier, here's how I see the best possible case:

---Syracuse to Binghamton (110 miles) 3 hours
---Bingo to Port Jervis (130 miles) 5 hours
---Port Jervis to Pelton (45 miles) 3 hours
---Pelton to Little Ferry (80 miles) 4 hours

I doubt that would happen very often, but it's at least theoretically possible... :-D

by cjvrr

Tri-State Tom;

The NYS&W hired crews, built a new connection in Binghamton, did a lot of track upgrades and purchased more engines, I doubt they would have done that without some type of contract in place to make XXX number of dollars per train that CSX detoured.

And while CSX is an owner of the NYS&W, they aren't the ONLY owner. NS has an equal share, and Mr. Rich is a minority share holder. They lost money because CSX pulled their trains off. In my opinion, there must have been a contract in place.

Chris

by Lackawanna484

cjvrr wrote:Tri-State Tom;

The NYS&W hired crews, built a new connection in Binghamton, did a lot of track upgrades and purchased more engines, I doubt they would have done that without some type of contract in place to make XXX number of dollars per train that CSX detoured.

And while CSX is an owner of the NYS&W, they aren't the ONLY owner. NS has an equal share, and Mr. Rich is a minority share holder. They lost money because CSX pulled their trains off. In my opinion, there must have been a contract in place.

Chris
I'd agree there was prob a contract of some sort, and the contract had a penalty clause for failure of CSX to deliver. Even if the penalty was reimbursement of expenses, that's petty cash to CSX.