Railroad Forums 

• Denton, Texas - A-Train

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#739611  by superbad

i wonder if we'll ever see the middle sections of the vehicles in the states like they have in europe? they did it in dallas, correct?
 #739636  by electricron

superbad wrote:i wonder if we'll ever see the middle sections of the vehicles in the states like they have in europe? they did it in dallas, correct?
Yes, it can happen. Having middle sections added to trains require higher ridership. When ridership increases, decisions will have to be made on how to add seats to these trains. It is cheaper to add middle sections to the existing vehicles than it is to add more new vehicles.

DCTA has sized their trains to meet what they expect the projected ridership will be. Another rail corridor could have higher ridership projects from the beginning, and therefore could start service with vehicles with middle sections. So yes, it can happen.
 #741213  by gt7348b

Just a point of info, the Boston Type 8s on the Green Line have a middle section and were built that way.
 #741679  by Patrick Boylan

Maybe I should defer to the posters who started talking about middle sections, but I think they meant extras added to existing 3 section articulated cars to make them 4 or more section cars. I believe that's what Dallas did. Can somebody correct or confirm me?
 #741851  by electricron

gardendance wrote:Maybe I should defer to the posters who started talking about middle sections, but I think they meant extras added to existing 3 section articulated cars to make them 4 or more section cars. I believe that's what Dallas did. Can somebody correct or confirm me?
Here's what Dallas (DART) did:
Before adding section, one articulation, two section vehicle

Afterwards, two articulation, three section vehicle

Stadler GTWs can come in the following configurations.
You can add one carriage without having to add more power units, adding two carriages require two power units.
 #742181  by superbad

another thing I have been wondering about, this does not just apply to the A-train, but the Capitol metro(stadler) and the The san diego county sprinter DMUs. Is it possible at a future time, if the transit disctrict wished to convert to overhead electric to make modifications to these DMU's to run on overhead power? if im not mistaken these particular DMU's are also manufactured as EMus??
 #742272  by electricron

superbad wrote:another thing I have been wondering about, this does not just apply to the A-train, but the Capitol metro(stadler) and the The san diego county sprinter DMUs. Is it possible at a future time, if the transit disctrict wished to convert to overhead electric to make modifications to these DMU's to run on overhead power? if im not mistaken these particular DMU's are also manufactured as EMus??
Yes, that can happen. It will be expensive to hang catenary wires and to convert the DMUs into EMUs. The key to the possibility lies whether the DMU is diesel-electric drive, or diesel-hydraulic drive. The Stadler GTW "Metrorail" is diesel-electric, the Siemens Desiro "Sprinter" is diesel-hydraulic. Diesel-electric is good to go with some modifications, diesel-hydraulic is not. To make the costs sustainable for these small transit agencies, ridership will have to increase significantly to make this move affordable.
 #852482  by electricron

Just an update on the construction progress. All hope of starting A-Train operations this December have been gone for a while. Initially set back to spring 2011, now set back to June (which could still be spring). They're hoping to have construction completed by late winter, and be testing the line next spring.
 #881454  by electricron

DCTA used TRE RDCs for public celebratory event in early December this year.
Two videos of the RDCs in Carrollton going to event, the first on BNSF operated tracks in south Carrollton heading northeast, the second at the junction from BNSF to DGNO operated tracks in Carrolton and eventually heading northwest. The light rail station at the end of the second video is the southern most DCTA station, where DCTA passengers will transfer to DART light rail trains. Notice the stick tracks, that's why the RDCs are going so slow. North of that station will be new welded rail tracks, where the DCTA trains will run in service in about 7 more months. Additional, just to the left of the video at Carrollton Junction is the Downtown Carrollton light rail station. Sorry you can't see it.
BNSF tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4r5q2K ... re=related

Carrollton Junction + DGNO tracks (DART in background)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5cQ7xMeh7o

This third video briefly shows the public event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIComs_BwgM
 #890757  by electricron

The New Year's status of DCTA's A-Train.

Construction of the A-Train 21 mile rail corridor that will connect Carrollton and Denton is proceeding at full throttle throughout the county. All the crossings in Carrollton, Hickory Creek, Lake Dallas, and Corinth have been built. The only ones left are in Denton, which include Lakeview, Mayhill/Colorado, Shady Oaks, Morse, Roberson, Prairie, and Sycamore. These crossings should be complete by early spring.

All the bridges south of Lake Lewisville have been completed, and construction of the bridge over Loop 288 has been completed in Denton. All remaining bridges should be complete by late February.

The track currently runs from Frankford Road in Carrollton to Quail Run in Corinth. The remaining track from Corinth to Denton will be finished by late April, allowing the months of May and June to be used for extensive testing the track and signals before beginning revenue operations.

Much of the work has been performed on each of the five stations, most notably with the completion of the Hebron station. At the Highland Village/Lake Lewisville station, the canopies have been erected and the concrete work for the park&ride is complete. The platform construction is still in progress. The stations in Denton will be the last to be completed, which is scheduled for this summer (June).

Construction has begun on the Operation and Maintenance Facility in Lewisville, with crews currently clearing and grading the property.

~ Additional personal comments ~
Who would believe that a 21 mile corridor, using 25 miles of newly laid track, plus over 8 miles of a parallel concrete paved bike trail, could be built in Texas without any State or Federal funds? All $314 Million of this trail and rail project has come from local funds, based on tax resources of a county with just 658,000 in population.
 #914589  by electricron

Some more new construction photos have been released by the DCTA, which can be found on their facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=93 ... aid=117547
Here's one that shows the parallel trail:

The trail is being built on the northernmost 8 miles of the corridor. It should be completed by this summer, about the same time the A-train service starts. An additional 8 miles in Lewisville has been funded. I have no idea when construction will start or finish on the southernmost 8 miles. The middle section around 5 miles in length, include a bridge over Lake Lewisville, has not been funded yet. I wouldn't expect it to be funded and built until TXDOT rebuilds the I-35E bridge over Lake Lewisville.
 #930659  by electricron

Downtown Denton Station photos by Lyly

DCTA plans to start service on June 20th, with opening celebrations on June 18th
Last edited by electricron on Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.