Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by IrideNHline

Took my 6:22 out of New Haven and an unusually large # of passengers (standing in aisles and vestibules). Conductor announced a delayed train and apologized. But I was wondering what the delay was and what train? Was it the 5:56 out of NH that got held up somewhere?
  by metrony

Hudson line has some sort of problem too Wed morning.

[MNR-Hud] Third rail issues at Marble Hill, 6:38 from Croton skipping MH.
  by metroduff

From what I understand from standing on the platform and the conductors' announcements on my train (the initial delayed train), Tuesday night's catenary problems at East Bridgeport from Tuesday night impacted the ability to get trains out of the yard there and into the stream. My train (1419 - 6:43 @Fairfield) is an East Bridgeport start - it's an 8-car 5-stop zone train, and they held it until your New Haven start had passed Bridgeport. Your train took on about 2/3 of the Fairfield passengers. I waited for my train to come, and it was late enough that it was essentially doing the next zone train's work as well. Doing the rest of the 5-stop zone for two trains' worth of customers (your train only took Fairfield's) delayed it even more, and then it took signal hits all the way to GCT because it was out of its place in the operating plan. Sorry your train was so crowded, but ours was worse ... and about 50 minutes late at GCT :-(
  by Wayside Observer

MN has had a lot of wire problems the last few days. I guess the old wire is really begining to show its age.
  by Otto Vondrak

Wayside Observer wrote:MN has had a lot of wire problems the last few days. I guess the old wire is really begining to show its age.
Both "old" and new wire are vulnerable to falling trees...
  by Patrick A.

"New" wire was involved in the July downed wire fiasco, just goes to show that even new wire is no guarantee.