• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Yeah some sort of military weapon thing it was. There’s a video somewhere on Jersey Shore Rail Productions about it.
  by RFRailFan

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:21 pm Yeah some sort of military weapon thing it was. There’s a video somewhere on Jersey Shore Rail Productions about it.
If I recall correctly, they unloaded two guns from a decommissioned battleship for Hartshorne Woods Park in Highlands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by AWSmith

CharlieL wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:16 pm I'm thinkin' whatever it is, it's land or shoreline based. Anything ocean bound would probably be barged.
Maybe offshore wind turbine parts?
  by Bracdude181

Those might be outbounds for Conrail to pick up tomorrow. Have seen Prestone get blue tanks before.
  by JohnFromJersey

What does Prestone produce that they outbound?

In addition,

I passed by the propane place that is in Toms River last night. It is not a Suburban Propane place, but an Amerigas one. There are still two giant propane tanks there, that I assume were used to unload and store propane, and the siding is still there, but the lot itself looks rough, and they only seem to store trucks there now.

Going on the Historic Aerials website, there have been two giant propane storage tanks there since at least the 1950's, and the lot had one or two buildings attached to it. Somewhere between 2002 and 2006, one of those buildings disappeared, and by 2010, the second one was gone and turned into a parking lot. I assume Amerigas (or whoever) had some sort of storefront there, and the loss of service on the TRIT in the early 2000's likely influenced their decision to tear down any buildings use the remnants of the lot as a storage facility.

Not sure how many cars they were getting at that spot in its heyday, but with the two giant storage tanks and what I assumed were Amerigas' storefronts there pre-2002, it looked like it was getting steady amounts of cars.

In any case, I strongly doubt that Amerigas, much less the TRIT, will ever see revenue freight service ever again.
  by Bracdude181

Prestone doesn’t ship any outbound loads I think. These are just empties for Conrail to pick up.

Towards the end the propane place was only getting 1-2 cars per trip. I hear the leisure villages on the other side of the tracks raised a big ruckus about this place being here. Very worried about a potential explosion/derailment and it’s part of the reason why they stopped getting cars.
  by JohnFromJersey

Maybe they shouldn't have moved too close to a place that always had giant propane tanks next to it
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:45 am What kind of "items" would even be coming down the Coastline? Sounds like it has to be some sort of ocean/marine item for it to get offloaded so close to the shore/ocean... Are these wind turbines or something????
Your on the right path there but not sure if it's for wind power station. Could be something for a local utility. Did hear a large company was gonna be moving into one of those shore towns. Could mean business inland to support this.
  by Bracdude181

It must be a giant power transformer for JCP&L or something since they are down there. Have heard no plans to put a wind farm offshore in this area but there are talks to put one up near New York south of Long Island With the manufacturing and assembly plant being in Raritan Center.
  by JohnFromJersey

Will this be a one-time freight move or will this mean a new customer on the Coastline?