• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by AceMacSD

All this talk of cars being restricted on NJT, can someone provide the TTSI for such restrictions on scrap gondolas, pole cars, and whatever other equipment? Not a "well that's what I heard" from the "so-called experts" in the field. The only restrictions I see in the TTSI are NC 1005-1 Maximum four axke car weight restrictions raised. Maybe in my old age I'm missing something so please provide me with the correct restriction.
For the record, NJT didn't instigate the NIMBY opposition to the Red Bank Recycling dilemma, that was on another carrier.
  by HazzanDan

Does anyone here know where the crew is now working to upgrade the roadbed and grade crossings? Are they still between Freehold and Farmingdale? Do they also plan to restore Lakehurst to Lakewood?
  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:13 am All this talk of cars being restricted on NJT, can someone provide the TTSI for such restrictions on scrap gondolas, pole cars, and whatever other equipment? Not a "well that's what I heard" from the "so-called experts" in the field. The only restrictions I see in the TTSI are NC 1005-1 Maximum four axke car weight restrictions raised. Maybe in my old age I'm missing something so please provide me with the correct restriction.
Not sure what kind of gondolas CRSAO runs, but judging from this information from Union Pacific's website, the gondolas commonly used for metals/scrap seem to run around 263,000 - 286,000lbs. I assume they run on the higher side extremely often, which is above the 263,000lbs weight limit along most of the Coastline south of the Raritan River bridge in South Amboy, as seen on page 2 in this infographic from an NJTPA study.

The FIT-SOUS connection will allow for customers like Red Bank Recycling and Brick Recycling to not be constrained by weight limits, and use modern 286,000lb gondolas for scrap

Did anyone get pictures or videos from today's train? It's been a couple of weeks since I was able to see RB-1 in person.
  by JohnFromJersey

Passed by Howell Rd today, it appears they have almost reached the crossing. I'd imagine by the end of the week, they might cross over and continue towards Fairfield Rd
  by CharlieL

Noticed they haven't used any of the metal ties originally stacked at Okerson Rd, still 3 stacks, 11 tiers high.

Guess the ones they used were trucked directly in.
  by JohnFromJersey

I'm not sure. I've passed by the jobsite 1-3 times a week now since they've started, and it seems like they have taken some ties from that pile, but I could be wrong.

I won't be shocked if they are saving those ties for when they rebuild the tracks that connect to the active FIT
  by JohnFromJersey

Per a Facebook post by someone whose profile says they work for C&D, it seems like C&D management/Railroad Construction does not appreciate the trespassing going on around their job sites, and has notified the local PDs to watch the ROWs more.
  by Bracdude181

They can’t say anything about pictures being taken from public property, so the answer here is to take pictures from the side of the road at the crossings and to not walk down the ROW or in the work areas. Fair enough.

Most likely that’s C&D asking the police to get involved as to this point, neither RR Construction or Tracks Unlimited have taken issues with me taking pictures. They’ve only asked that I keep out of the work areas for safety reasons. Which is fair, considering the work going on and the equipment they are using.
  by CharlieL

Tanker1497 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:07 pm

I'm pretty sure when you connect to an active line you need to have a safety observer or something like that, a severed rail keeps that from being an issue. And something about maintaining signals, of which there are none.
And if you connect to a active line its becomes active and the taxes go up than if OOS.
If that's correct then the last crossings they do will be Okerson Rd or Southard Ave or perhaps the wye leg, making the whole thing active at once.

Meanwhile they have finished placing ties west of Howell Rd, and have one of the two rails in place. I'm presuming they are reusing the 100# rail for that stretch, as they did at Okerson.
  by JohnFromJersey

Per the Facebook post, it was RR Construction who was the most concerned, worried about possible theft or vandalism of materials/equipment when no one from their organization is there.

Chances are RR Construction or Tracks Unlimited don't mind if people are hanging around when they have workers there, aka they can ensure whoever is hanging around isn't going to cause problems vs. when they are not there and can't do so.