• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdtrains

Maybe they are using the rail and wood ties that they can on site, until the new rail arrives. Maybe the steel ties are made to fit the profile of the new rail only...

At least they are getting things done, and not just sitting around and waiting, like govt agencies do...
  by JohnFromJersey

Who knows. Maybe the old rail in some spots is over 100 pound rail and can be used again, and maybe it isn't.

I assume that the grant accounted for so much rail, because they were expecting all of it to be shot and not reusable. Or much of that rail they want to use will be used for the Southern, which desperately needs rail replacements in many spots. The grant was not just for the OOS FIT and SOUS connection, but also repairing the in-service parts too.
  by CharlieL

Half that 27000 ft is in phase 2, which has no grant money attached to it. In addition it's listed as rail, not track feet, so it may only be for 13000 track feet (6500 in phase 1). I suspect we will see at least some of it used in Farmingdale for a wye, reconnect and relay whatever as well as certain places along the route. Also perhaps some in Lakehurst when they get around to it.
  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:46 am Even more confusing is the fact that they are using the old rail. Where’s the 27500 feet of rail they called for in the grant going?
27500ft is 5.2 mile of track but just one side to be the full 5.2 miles you would need 55000ft
That is if they count it as rail and not both sides at once. Don't know?
Seemingly there belief is they can salvage half of what's there, use the rest for sidings and even where the
wye is going a small storage parking.
  by GSC

I was out driving around yesterday and checked out the progress. A Railroad Construction crew was working by Okerson with a hi-rail tractor.

I haven't really been driving around there that much lately and was certainly surprised at all the new construction - houses and warehouses. A case of "Where did they come from?" With all this new building, what might have been "back roads" in the old days are long gone. I've seen Yellowbrook, Fairfield, and Howell Roads become busy during rush hours some years ago, and now will be so much more so. I'm thinking protecting the crossings will require at least flashing lights and maybe gates. The days of lonely back roads are long gone.
  by baju

Yes…many fun memories of the 50s and 60s. Allot has changed since I drove those lonely roads. I grieve with you.
  by R&DB

In the 60s we considered Howell and Eastern Freehpld the boonies. Our Boy Scout camp was on Hurley Pond by the tracks. In the 60s & 70s we cruised the back roads doing questionable things. In 82 I bought a house on Maxim Road and became part of the back woods. Lived in Howell until 2021. Miss the back roads as I now reside 1 long block from rte 37.
  by baju

Your after my own heart r&db. We must of crossed paths as we sipped a cool one😁😁 always dreamed about building a house out there. Driving back from freehold to manasquan I always take those back roads. I’m trying to figure out how to post some old pictures I took of the railroad back in the 50s. Between allenwood and manasquan. Not very good quality though
  by AWSmith

baju wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm Your after my own heart r&db. We must of crossed paths as we sipped a cool one😁😁 always dreamed about building a house out there. Driving back from freehold to manasquan I always take those back roads. I’m trying to figure out how to post some old pictures I took of the railroad back in the 50s. Between allenwood and manasquan. Not very good quality though
You can post them using tapatalk app. or "upload an image " tab below your new reply or post.