• dcc speakers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by guilford88panam

Hi, I am looking to install a few Tsunami EMD sound decoders into a few of my units. I will be installing these in a Kato sd80mac, Athearn and Kato SD40-2s and some Atlas GP40s. I am very familiar with installing dcc decoders but I have never installed a sound decoder and I am looking for some help on what kind of speakers I should get. I do not want any speaker that has that high pitch sound like any of the factory atlas (QSI) speakers and some other companies. I am looking for I guess a good bass speaker?..... If anyone has any ideas or help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Tim
  by ApproachMedium

The larger the speaker you can get in the better. The reason why the QSI is usually so high pitch isnt always the speaker, its the mounting, venting and the sound files. The Tsunami with the proper speaker and venting setup will give you excellent bass response. Make sure if you get one of the Oval speaker that you cover up the 4 holes on the corners. If you do not do this your bass response wont be as good.
  by guilford88panam

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!
Tim