• DCC Questions and Recommendations

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Kevin B.

I am kind-of new to model railroading, and have a couple of questions about DCC.

1.) I know that when using a standard DC "power pack", locos. of different manufacturers will usually not run at the same speed for a given throttle setting. I also know that this is mainly caused by simple differences in the motor gearing from one manufact. to the next. I have also heard that by inserting resistors inline with the motors of locos. that run faster than others, you can somewhat overcome the speed difference, and make them run together. I would like to be able to use locos. from a couple of different manufacturers, so my first question is - Can DCC let you "set up" each loco. with different speed settings, so that even ones form 2 or more manufacturers will run together, and at the same speed?

2.) Which DCC system would you recommend? My layout is currently as big as it will ever get, due to space limitations. I would describe it's size as on the upper end of the "small" spectrum. I don't think I will ever have a need to run more than about 10 or 12 locos.

Thanks for your input!