Railroad Forums 

• DC Streetcars On Display 05 08 2010

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#806440  by Sand Box John

These cars are smaller then I thought they would be. Their interior layout is similar to the interiors of the Siemens S70 Avanto run down in Charlotte NC.

I like the pattern of the seat cushion fabric. I hope WMATA chooses this fabric for the 7k cars.

The person charged with the care of the cars tells me the they are exercised in Greenbelt yard using battery power. They are capable of running about a 1/4 of a mile on level track using battery power

Don't ask me what the two buttons on the floor are for as I didn't ask

It DC DOT hires operators form WMATA to operate the cars they are going to have to get use to the controller handle on the left. The the controller handle on metrorail cars is on the right

#806496  by hutton_switch

Good, clear, sharp pics. Since these cars are of European design and construction, it isn't surprising to me that they would be smaller than expected, due to the narrowness of European streets that they usually run on.
 #806550  by Sand Box John

"hutton_switch"
Good, clear, sharp pics.

Both of the cab pictures were contrasted corrected.

Since these cars are of European design and construction, it isn't surprising to me that they would be smaller than expected, due to the narrowness of European streets that they usually run on.

The Siemens cars are light rail cars, these cars are for street running.

I did some measurements based on the cars manufactures specifications, the cars can run on WMATA's third rail equipped track with about 1 1/2" of clearance between the third rail cover and side of the car body on tangent track.

I forgot to mention, under battery power (32V DC) top speed is about 3MPH.
 #806786  by Trackbolt

Great Pictures,

I went to the Holy Comforter Catholic School across from the East Capitol Street car barn in the 1950's. I'd be watching the PCC's and Brills come and go every chance I got. I well remember the last trolly day in 1962. Rode to Glen Echo a bunch of times before that line was abandoned too. I am up and down Firth Sterling St and Benning Road quit often. I does me good to see the new system being installed. I am reliving the revival of streetcars and am seeing my third 11th st bridge now under construction. Who says its hell to get old? I only hope DC and the planning commission get the overhead wire vs conduit matters resolved quickly.
 #806879  by Sand Box John

"atsf sp"
What line are these being built for?

They were built for the start up line in Annacostia. DC DOT procured 3 cars some years ago for the line. Heard DC DOT has plans to procured 8 more cars for the H Street Benning Road line.
 #814210  by Sand Box John

"Matt_S"
Are these cars still on display at the H street car park?

No. They were only on display at the old Convention Center site from 05 05 - 05 08. They have been returned to Greenbelt Yard where they have been and will be exercised until they can be moved to their permanent home in Anacostia.
 #814247  by chucksc

Sand Box John wrote:"Matt_S"
Are these cars still on display at the H street car park?

No. They were only on display at the old Convention Center site from 05 05 - 05 08. They have been returned to Greenbelt Yard where they have been and will be exercised until they can be moved to their permanent home in Anacostia.
where some of the indigenous population will proceed to cook them and eat them.... :)