• Dates and Year on side of tracks?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by donredhead

On the side of tracks I will see a year 1954 Laccawanna or 1984 Bethahem steellton. But the tracks look much younger then that
so are these dates or length or total weight of the rail?
  by alchemist

That's the year the rail was manufactured. In the cases you mentioned, both were made by Bethlehem Steel. If the rail looks too new to have been out in the weather for that long, it was probably stored until it was needed. Those dates are put on the web of the rail during the rolling process.
  by FarmallBob

Look for a second number - usually 3 digits - that repeats every 12 ft or so along with the date and mill name. That will be the weight of the rail in lb per yard.

Common modern mainline rail weights are 119, 127, 131, 136 and 140 though many others exist. Branchline and yard rail is often lighter - 105, 110 and 112 seems common. (A small CSX yard near where I live is laid primarily with 105# and 110# Dudley rail rolled between 1905 and 1920). Old rail with weights less than 100# can often be found in yards, etc.

Incidentally until continuous welded rail became popular virtually all rail was delivered in 39' lengths - I supposed so it could be shipped in a 40' gondola.
  by BR&P

If the rail looks too new to have been out in the weather for that long, it was probably stored until it was needed.
That implies it was stored indoors. Why would that be done - there's no need to do so.
  by Otto Vondrak

There's one more part to the code...

If you see "LACKAWANNA 1925 |||||"

Each hash mark represents a month. So the above example has five hash marks, so the rail was rolled in May 1925 at the steel plant in Lackawanna, New York.
  by JimBoylan

FarmallBob wrote:Incidentally until continuous welded rail became popular virtually all rail was delivered in 39' lengths - I supposed so it could be shipped in a 40' gondola.
Older rails were shorter - 33' and some 36' were popular lengths, for the above reason - older gondola cars were also shorter.
  by 130MM

Here is a picture of a piece of Rocky Mountain Steel Mill (RMSM) 136 RE (AREMA) rail . Note that the "VT" does not mean Vermont. It is actually an abbreviation for "Vacuum Degassing" - a methodolgy for removing Hydrogen during the rail making process. Other rails could have "BC", "CC", "CH", or "HH" (which mean "Bloom Cooled", "Contolled Cooled", "Controlled Cooled - End Hardened", and "Head Hardened". Older rails have "OH", which is "Open Hearth".
136 RE Rocky Mtn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 130MM on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BR&P

I think you have a typo there - that's clearly 136 lb rail, not 132.

The combination of great sun angle and fairly new rail shows up the markings very well.
  by 130MM

BR&P wrote:I think you have a typo there - that's clearly 136 lb rail, not 132.

The combination of great sun angle and fairly new rail shows up the markings very well.
You are correct, sir! (In my best Ed McMahon voice, may he rest in peace). Has been edited.

DAW

PS Here is a shot of 132. "W-P" stands for Wheeling Pittsburgh.
132 RE Wheeling-Pitt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by drumz0rz

I'm glad to see a lot of Beth Steel rails still out, and in quite good condition. I live about a mile from the old plant in Bethlehem (I don't think they ever made rails there), such a shame they went under. Some of the rails I spot on the LIRR look like they're brand new, but they're from Beth Steelton in the 80's.
  by 130MM

drumz0rz wrote:I'm glad to see a lot of Beth Steel rails still out, and in quite good condition. I live about a mile from the old plant in Bethlehem (I don't think they ever made rails there), such a shame they went under. Some of the rails I spot on the LIRR look like they're brand new, but they're from Beth Steelton in the 80's.
Steelton still makes rails, though the mill is owned by a gentleman from India; and the rails are branded "Mittal".
  by Kick'em

Rocky Mount yard has some rail made in 1897. Still laid down and attached to ties in the North Yard. I don't think it is currently in service. We do have rail in the main part of the class yard dated 1919.
  by ExCon90

BR&P wrote:
If the rail looks too new to have been out in the weather for that long, it was probably stored until it was needed.
That implies it was stored indoors. Why would that be done - there's no need to do so.
If the rails were stacked, the ones in the interior of the stack would be pretty well protected from the weather.
  by BobLI

Off topic question. why does 1 picture have different piece of equipment next to the tie plates. 1 pic all i see is spikes, the other pic has UU shaped things next to the tieplates. What are they and how do they hold track?
  by DutchRailnut

They are rail anchors, they prevent the rail form moving lenght wise