• Danville Junction to be Rebuilt

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Hey guys. As some of you may know, Danville junction is going to be rebuilt. With the funds that went through the state for rail and transportation bonds, the SLR and Guilford are going to rebuild this important interchange. I hear they are going to add tracks and maybe, MAYBE, remove the diamond. Anyways, the SLR is also adding tracks at Lewiston Junction. There own yard that they've started is going to add more tracks as well! I'll get you guys more numbers if I can, but all this work is to be done this Summer I believe. With this and perhaps the upgrading of the Portland-Brunswick track, Maine looks like it's going to have a great year for Railroads! We'll see!

by Skullitor

They can't remove the diamond.How will GRS/PAR cross the SLR? Also there is a second entrance to the yard at Danville West. :wink:

by CN9634

Well they wouldn't. What would happen is Guilford would run through the yard (The West end of Danville) , not crossing the SLR main, but crossing the SLR Portland Branch. However, that branch may be sold soon to MDOT so Guilford wouldn't actually cross over the SLR. And technically, the yard is both Guilford and SLR so who knows. We'll just have to watch and find out :wink:

by Skullitor

Your right,Charles. We'll have to wait and see. :-D

by NYC27

I can't beleive "The Guardians of Danville Jct." don't have the scoop on this one. Charles has it exactly right except that the diamond is *definitely* going to be removed, this is at the core of the plan.

by Skullitor

NYC27 wrote:I can't beleive "The Guardians of Danville Jct." don't have the scoop on this one. Charles has it exactly right except that the diamond is *definitely* going to be removed, this is at the core of the plan.
So what your saying is PAR is gonna abandon a part of the freight main line?Enter the yard from Danville West?Exit back out onto the freight main at the current Danville Jct?
Is that right?When is it gonna start?
Skull :(

by CN9634

This summer I believe, but with this state and railroad, who knows

by SLR 393

Skullitor wrote:
NYC27 wrote:I can't beleive "The Guardians of Danville Jct." don't have the scoop on this one. Charles has it exactly right except that the diamond is *definitely* going to be removed, this is at the core of the plan.
So what your saying is PAR is gonna abandon a part of the freight main line?Enter the yard from Danville West?Exit back out onto the freight main at the current Danville Jct?
Is that right?When is it gonna start?
Skull :(

I have heard the same thing, and it makes sense. They have done moves like this already, so its already been done. Be interesting to see the SLR and DJ-1 working under "yard limits" without the diamond and signals.

by cpf354

CN9634 wrote:Well they wouldn't. What would happen is Guilford would run through the yard (The West end of Danville) , not crossing the SLR main, but crossing the SLR Portland Branch. However, that branch may be sold soon to MDOT so Guilford wouldn't actually cross over the SLR. And technically, the yard is both Guilford and SLR so who knows. We'll just have to watch and find out :wink:
Is the Long Crossover still there? Back when I used to visit that was how the ST got in and out of the SLR yard limits from that end of the yard. SLR will still have freight rights after the MDOT sale.

by CN9634

Yes it is. But who knows for how long...

by SLR 393

CN9634 wrote:Yes it is. But who knows for how long...
If the diamond goes, the long crossover can't go, its the only way back onto the GRS main, unless they do something completely different. If its going to happen anytime soon, you should see survey stakes going up all over the place to mark for grading.

by CN9634

Well false alarm on the ties, they went up the SLR today (I shoulda figured, I mean of course the SLR would be doing work and the GRS would be screwin' around). Saw a few trains today. Caught 513 coming back from Portland. Also saw the 681 heading to Waterville.

by Skullitor

I'll be heading up there next week for a few days.I'm gonna call the "SLEEPY TIME MOTEL" in Auburn,Me.Great railfan motel!
Billy Leazer W.F.P.T. :wink:

by cpf354

cpf354 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Well they wouldn't. What would happen is Guilford would run through the yard (The West end of Danville) , not crossing the SLR main, but crossing the SLR Portland Branch. However, that branch may be sold soon to MDOT so Guilford wouldn't actually cross over the SLR. And technically, the yard is both Guilford and SLR so who knows. We'll just have to watch and find out :wink:
Is the Long Crossover still there? Back when I used to visit that was how the ST got in and out of the SLR yard limits from that end of the yard. SLR will still have freight rights after the MDOT sale.
Actually the terms of the sale to MDOT are an intial purchase from East Deering to Yarmouth Jct, then with an option later to purchase to 1 mile south of Danville for freight, and rights to operate passenger trains to the Auburn Industrial Park area.