Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

40 million for such an amount of real estate is great, now if we can only get the morons from MTA legal give away the store.
Going from Stateline to Brewster there is more fencing than Auswitch ever had, just to split between rail and rails for trails
  by HBLR

Oh man, that is amazing. Too bad no revenue service currently!

As far as washouts, it looks pretty short of an embankment, so any washouts would i think tend to be on the shallow side and not a 20 foot gaping chasm of nothing. Shallow washouts i've worked with where a client had a duct bank or trough, you can just prop it up, in a railroad situation you could, in theory, stack ties to create a stable temporary bridge.

Any info on that, or are these supposed washouts on a different section of the line?
  by DutchRailnut

danbury = no , Beacon line = yes. inluding bad one at Pawling somewhere.
  by ATK

So after all that, they ended up running the 126 and 3 cars back up to Brewster. If the plan was to have one of the mini-bombs end up in Brewster anyway, I don't understand why they didn't cut one of the trains away when passing through Put Jct Yard?
  by DutchRailnut

From Dykemans to GCT our destination changed more times than the course of a Somali pirate ship.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Cablevision's News 12 Connecticut has posted a report video and a Chopper 12 video: "Danbury Line Track Damage" in the past day.
This is available to other Cablevision areas by way of Channel 612 Interactive...

I noticed that the crews repairing the embankment are using concrete ties there...are they used ones to reinforce the embankment?

I looked at these videos and I thought that thankfully the washout was found before trains operated over it...how was it found?
The suspended rails alone indicate to me that the signals were not shunted...

I also thought that perhaps a wreck at that point could have happened if the embankment had given way under the weight and vibration of a train there...

I think that MNCR dodged one here...there is some temporary inconvenience but we now all think about what COULD have happened there...

MACTRAXX
  by DutchRailnut

MNCR hi-rails the branch any time after a storm if no train is scheduled for 2 hours or more.
As for shunting and signals the Danbury Branch is Manual block, no sgnals exist other than a Form M ( like a Norac form D)
  by Noel Weaver

I have been following a and participating on railroaddotnet for quite a while and this is probably one of the MOST USEFUL topics to ever come up anywhere on here. Actual news of an actual event in time for anybody interested to get out and get some pictures or even just watch this interesting move. What a relief from some of the nonsense that gets posted.
Many thanks "Dutch" for the heads up and to all of the lucky ones who got to follow, photograph and post their photos here.
Again, sincere thanks to all.
Noel Weaver
  by Steamboat Willie

A lashup of I believe 1 maxi and 2 mini bombs (all one train) made its way down to NY and was chopped up and yarded accordingly. Believe they were sent up to Harmon as 5XXX's tonight.
  by DutchRailnut

One mini went to Harmon, other mini back to Brewster as storm spare and Maxi went on train 1571 I believe.
  by joetrain59

On the Trains Mag website, the newswire said they moved the stranded equipment out of Danbury via the Maybrook line. I have a girlfriend who lives up that way. I'm not that familiar with area rails. Is Maybrook line what parallels Mill Plain road? Goes by Rosy Tomorrows, then behind Agway, Stop and Shop, etc? This line runs to Brewster, right? It didn't look in such great shape when I took a close look last Summer, at tracks behind supermarket. Anyone have any pics of movement?
Thanks,
Joe D
  by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:Off-Topic: Um, Patrick, time to retire the signature "The M-8 is coming...but will it beat the apocalypse?" The M-8 has indeed won the race!

Now, will the Danbury Branch Study beat the apocolypse????

AFAIK, Dutch was previously qualified on the Beacon. I believe the HRRC pilot is for the stretch of the branch that they own up to the state line. I would imagine they could just toss him/her overboard at that point, but that wouldn't be neighborly now, would it? ;-)

I guess we'll have a good idea of the condition of the connection after this....
Correct I was expired so they had a HRRC SLE pilot me on HRRC and a person requalifying me on MNCR portion.
Me and yesterdays engineer are current again for entire move if it happens again in next year or so.
I like to thank HRRC Superintendent Rick A. for his help and understanding, It was great to work with the co-operation of both railroads.
Im sure some day the HRRC may need our track for a Emergency, as nothing ever goes according to timetable or weather gods ;-)
Glad to hear you're "re"-qualified for the branch. It's too bad there's not a better connection to Harlem at Brewster/Dykeman's end. How was changing ends handled at Dykemans? Since you ran cab car first from Danbury you ended up with the engine up front; was the train wyed at MO?
  by Trainer

I tried to catch at least one of these trains as they crossed Main St., if only to see the look of the drivers as they took attention away from texting on their cell phones and had to stop for the crossing gates.

Oh, well. The Almanac says we're likely to get similar weather next year. How about planning a "rare miles" fan trip NOW for the move THEN and MN can even make a few bucks next time they have to move those bombs? :-)
  by DutchRailnut

We went right into GCT and to track 38(loop) all 3 trains went around the loop to. Be turned.