• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote:Yes the B&M 1455 is also undergoing a restoration at this time. The project manager on that project is very aggressive at tackling that project.
Must be cosmetic restoration... There'd be no reason to restore it to full working order since there is no where to run the engine and it would cost a million dollars or more to rebuild.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

andre wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Gosh, I wonder if any other museums have seat frames you might be able to use.
lol if your dropping a hint otto id be more then happy to speak offline
I'm saying you don't know what's out there until you ask. Certainly a cheaper route than having replacements manufactured new.

-otto-
  by steamer69

Otto Vondrak wrote:
andre wrote:Yes the B&M 1455 is also undergoing a restoration at this time. The project manager on that project is very aggressive at tackling that project.
Must be cosmetic restoration... There'd be no reason to restore it to full working order since there is no where to run the engine and it would cost a million dollars or more to rebuild.

-otto-

At least they are trying, and working towards the end goal. More power to them for doing a cosmetic! More than I can say for some groups. Maybe some groups should take a lesson from Danbury......
  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-

as far as I know it will only be cosmetic to keep it presentable and attractive to the public and at the same time structurally sound.
The 1455 has a lot of potential and im happy to see a group with a project manager with the skills needed to tackle this type of project.
  by steamer69

Like button! More than can be said for some groups of questionable mental capactities. Bob is a good guy who does know his stuff. Actually finishing a cosmetic can go miles towards keeping the engine in a better state, and showing the donor base and general public that you actually care.....what a concept.....They even keep people up to date with what is going on by posting here! Another great concept.....
  by andre

steamer69 wrote:Like button! More than can be said for some groups of questionable mental capactities. Bob is a good guy who does know his stuff. Actually finishing a cosmetic can go miles towards keeping the engine in a better state, and showing the donor base and general public that you actually care.....what a concept.....They even keep people up to date with what is going on by posting here! Another great concept.....
Hes a great guy and does indeed know his stuff and isnt afraid to ask questions when in doubt

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 8369_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 6997_n.jpg
heres a pic of some of the work thats progressing on the 1455, There is a canopy to protect the work areas from the elements.

another angle on the washboards and PC caboose
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 9284_n.jpg

and of course the almighty speeder flat

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 7461_n.jpg
  by steamer69

Thank you Andre for the pictures and a wonderful lack of "smoke and mirrors". I went onto your website today which was up to date, refreshing, and very informative. I was able to look at your newsletters that had all of the monetary information in them, so I was able to see how the money you fund raise is being spent, as well as see that you all are setting attainable goals that are well thought out for the preservation of your entire collection...not just one rotted out basket case and a 25 year lost cause.

BRAVO Danbury, Bravo. Not just on the 1455, but on the entire collection.
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Thank you Andre for the pictures and a wonderful lack of "smoke and mirrors". I went onto your website today which was up to date, refreshing, and very informative. I was able to look at your newsletters that had all of the monetary information in them, so I was able to see how the money you fund raise is being spent, as well as see that you all are setting attainable goals that are well thought out for the preservation of your entire collection...not just one rotted out basket case and a 25 year lost cause.

Hey Brett?
Why do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a (VERY thinly veiled) rant against "you know who"?
  by andre

Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:Thank you Andre for the pictures and a wonderful lack of "smoke and mirrors". I went onto your website today which was up to date, refreshing, and very informative. I was able to look at your newsletters that had all of the monetary information in them, so I was able to see how the money you fund raise is being spent, as well as see that you all are setting attainable goals that are well thought out for the preservation of your entire collection...not just one rotted out basket case and a 25 year lost cause.

Hey Brett?
Why do you have to turn EVERYTHING into a (VERY thinly veiled) rant against "you know who"?
???
  by steamer69

@Pete.....seems I have a VERY valid right to, since the simplest of questions can't be ansewered. And it's not my fault that they are inept. I'm just proving the point that some people CARE about their equipment, members, and informing their donation and fund raisng base what is going on. Nuff said.

@Andre...No worries, Cosmo is trying to bring a discussion from another thread onto here. Back to the business at hand. Thanks for answering my questions.
In the April News Letter there were pictures of the new tender floor in the coal bunker. I was wondering if you all were going to be putting the steel plate back over the woodwork, or just stain the floor and leave it as it is? Are you guys re-doing the whole electrical system in the engine or at this point is it just power to do more work on the engine (I saw that you ran cable out to it)? Love the covering over the tender so that the work area is enclosed.
  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:@Pete.....seems I have a VERY valid right to, since the simplest of questions can't be ansewered. And it's not my fault that they are inept. I'm just proving the point that some people CARE about their equipment, members, and informing their donation and fund raisng base what is going on. Nuff said.
But Brett, this thread isn't about that museum.
steamer69 wrote:@Andre...No worries, Cosmo is trying to bring a discussion from another thread onto here. Back to the business at hand. Thanks for answering my questions.
ME??? How is it ME that's doing that? YOU, Brett, are the one taking every opportunity to throw jabs at the other organization in THIS thread.
Sure, you have the right to speak out, and you HAVE,.... over and over again.
But Brett, do NOT accuse ME of trying to bring it here. That's all you buddy. If anything, I want it kept OUT of this thread.

Now, can we go back to discussing DANBURY without the childish jabs at your favorite target of criticism?

Can you not jut simply praise the good folks at DRM without tearing away at someone else?
  by Trainlover479

Cosmo wrote:
steamer69 wrote:@Pete.....seems I have a VERY valid right to, since the simplest of questions can't be ansewered. And it's not my fault that they are inept. I'm just proving the point that some people CARE about their equipment, members, and informing their donation and fund raisng base what is going on. Nuff said.
But Brett, this thread isn't about that museum.
steamer69 wrote:@Andre...No worries, Cosmo is trying to bring a discussion from another thread onto here. Back to the business at hand. Thanks for answering my questions.
ME??? How is it ME that's doing that? YOU, Brett, are the one taking every opportunity to throw jabs at the other organization in THIS thread.
Sure, you have the right to speak out, and you HAVE,.... over and over again.
But Brett, do NOT accuse ME of trying to bring it here. That's all you buddy. If anything, I want it kept OUT of this thread.

Now, can we go back to discussing DANBURY without the childish jabs at your favorite target of criticism?

Can you not jut simply praise the good folks at DRM without tearing away at someone else?

Is this constant arguing really necessary??? Honestly, you 2 battle it out on every single thread in the New England Fourms area. Seriously, Cosmo, you are the one who keeps starting it
  by steamer69

HERE HERE!!!!! Like Button.....

As I said before.....
steamer69 wrote:Back to the business at hand.
Looking forward to discussing more of the great work going on at Danbury with the collection there.
  by andre

anyways... moving on

I believe that they will replace the steel plating in the tenders floor once they finish the work they are doing on it at the moment. I think the wood is just there for the time being while they are working on the tender... i think the same also for the cab of the 1455
  by steamer69

So then to your knowledge are they going to put a whole new bunker back in? That's a lot of work if they are....but seems that you guys are getting a lot of good work done on it from the news letters.