• Daily schedules for Rochester-area short lines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CPSD40-2

North of Penn Yan is still Finger Lakes Railway, otherwise it would be a completely isolated piece of track owned by someone else. NS only owns the Corning Secondary, which crosses FGLK's line at Himrod, not the line to Penn Yan, or north of it.

by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CPSD40-2

There was a line, I believe NYC, that ran between Penn Yan and Dresden, along the Keuka Lake Outlet. If you look at a NYS Gazeteer map, it still shows the tracks as abandodned, but there's no tracks in place within Penn Yan at all.

by fglk

Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by BR&P

If I recall correctly the Penn Yan - Dresden segment of NYC was wiped out by Hurricane Agnes in 1972. I'm not sure when after that the rails were salvaged.

by CPSD40-2

Wasn't Agnes the storm that caused EL to re-route trains over the Lehigh? I have seen videos of pig trains led by EL SD45's coming into Geneva. I didn't think it effected upstate as much as the Southern Tier.

by fglk

by charlie6017

I was out today watching the Finger Lakes Railway. They went from Himrod into Penn Yan and back and then into Watkins Glen. I noticed that the line mentioned from Penn Yan to Bellona was OOS. I drove over what was a grade crossing and is now paved over, although the crossbucks were still there. The tracks are still there but you could barely see them-the vegetation was so rampant. How long ago was this placed out of service?

by fglk

by rls62

The NYC line between Penn Yan and Dresden was(as stated earlier) wiped out by Hurricane Agnes in '72. It is one of my favorite rail trails (about 6 miles in length), running parallel to Keuka Lake Outlet. I highly recommend it! It is dotted with the ruins of old mills. There are only a few railroad artifacts left including a mileage marker at Dresden(P6) and occasional ties. It runs underneath the former Pennsy Elmira branch trestle in Penn Yan. I don't know very much about the history of the line, but I do recall a historical plaque giving a brief history. I've hiked it in spring and winter.

by fglk

Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by bwparker1

The section, before it was NYC, was the crooked lake canal.

Also, there is a tiny piece of rail intact in Penn Yan, as you cross over the outlet heading towards where Pudgies and the Beverage Baron are now located, if you look down to your right, towards a lumber yard. You can see a piece of rail in the ground that still remains, or at least it did when I was in Penn Yan in June of 2004

Brooks

by keeper1616

Not sure what the rest of the schedule is for the road, but there were 3 B&P GP38s switching out a lumber yard at Lake/Stonewood in Charlotte this morning at 3:30am...

by nessman

keeper1616 wrote:Not sure what the rest of the schedule is for the road, but there were 3 B&P GP38s switching out a lumber yard at Lake/Stonewood in Charlotte this morning at 3:30am...
Man - that's a lot of power for one or two lumber cars. Lot of weight on that track.