• D&H South End Sale to NS - APPROVED 5/15/15

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by johnpbarlow

Matt Langworthy wrote:CP's presence at SK Yard has been minimal in recent years anyway. The only CP-related traffic on the Tier is 38T and 39T. i rarely see CP power on NS in greater Buffalo. It has been reported that the NS/CP interchange point will move from greater Buffalo to Mohawk Yard, which means the end of 38T and 39T when NS takes over the D&H.
According to the Customer Station Bulletin published by CP as shown four messages above, there will now be three routings/interchanges with NS for CP originated shipments destined for the D&H South:

Between Quebec, the Maritimes and NY state north of Schenectady and NS: Schenectady, NY
Between Ontario and Illinois and NS: Buffalo, NY
Between Western Canada and the US west of Illinois and NS: Chicago, IL
  by Matt Langworthy

Interesting report. Perhaps NS/CP changed their mind about interchange at Buffalo?
  by ricebrianrice

The company I work for has a rail siding and we get deliveries of steel 4-5 times a year, so we are signed up to dispatch, and return cars through CP webiste.

As part of that I get these e-mails. I got this one on Tuesday, and thought it had some good nfomration that people on this site would like.

The only thing I couldn't do was attached the map, I still have never figured out how to post a picture in these mesages!
If someone can help me, I will post that also.
  by YamaOfParadise

ricebrianrice wrote:The only thing I couldn't do was attached the map, I still have never figured out how to post a picture in these mesages!
If someone can help me, I will post that also.
If it's already hosted on the web, you can right click on it, select "Copy Image URL", and then paste the URL in the "Img" tag in the post settings.

Otherwise, just download the image, and below the "Submit" button here, there's a box with two tabs: Options and "Upload attachment". Click on the latter, and then just upload what you downloaded through that.
  by sd80mac

but no more than 800 x 800 I believe. u need to resize to 800x800
  by ricebrianrice

Map from CP e-mail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ricebrianrice

As part of this sale, does NS get any of the CP equipment?

Engines, MOW Equipment, the Caboose that they use for Locals in the Binghamton Yard, all of the stuff in East Binghamton Yard
D&H 7303

If not, it should be fun to watch all that stuff head north from Binghamton, and all the NS stuff that they will need to bring in come up from the South.

Not sure how all that works with the sale of only part of a railroad.
  by Matt Langworthy

Probably not. CP retains ownership of the D&H corporation and thus the logo/image, too.
  by newpylong

ricebrianrice wrote:As part of this sale, does NS get any of the CP equipment?

Engines, MOW Equipment, the Caboose that they use for Locals in the Binghamton Yard, all of the stuff in East Binghamton Yard
D&H 7303

If not, it should be fun to watch all that stuff head north from Binghamton, and all the NS stuff that they will need to bring in come up from the South.

Not sure how all that works with the sale of only part of a railroad.
Only fixed assets are being sold so no.
  by ricebrianrice

Interesting, I wonder if tools in the shop are fixed assets?

Could be a couple of interesting days, since the people are staying but they may have nothing to work with!

I am meeting with my new NS rep next week, I will have to ask some questions.
  by oibu

There hasn't been much to do at the shop with all the cuts the last few years anyway. I would assume unless someone has heard otherwise, that NS will have zero use for the shop other than fuel/servicing/etc. (IF THAT?). Don't need many tools for that. I can't imagine NS would assign any units there for maintenance or use the engine terminal for more than fueling/servicing a few power sets per 24 hours, unless there is a major shift in NS train originations/terminations and classification work, which I can't really see happening unless maybe things finally start moving via the Tier post-Portage.
  by malfunctjct

oibu wrote:There hasn't been much to do at the shop with all the cuts the last few years anyway. I would assume unless someone has heard otherwise, that NS will have zero use for the shop other than fuel/servicing/etc. (IF THAT?). Don't need many tools for that. I can't imagine NS would assign any units there for maintenance or use the engine terminal for more than fueling/servicing a few power sets per 24 hours, unless there is a major shift in NS train originations/terminations and classification work, which I can't really see happening unless maybe things finally start moving via the Tier post-Portage.
NS has been hiring additional people for the shop. Binghamton could take some of the load off a back logged Enola Desiel.
  by johnpbarlow

Heard on the CPR Sunbury radio feed that CP MoW crew is placing stop signs at all private road/driveway crossings of the Sunbury Sub as required per NS (stop signs face the motorists, not the trains :-D ).