• Cutting up a perfectly good structure

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jdl56

I had a beautiful, built-up and painted Rico station. Problem was, it didn't fit where I needed it to fit. So, with some trepidation, I cut it length-wise and reassembled it as seen below.

More text and photos on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

by RWERN

I think cutting up a good structure isn't too big a deal provided you didn't spend too much on it. Cutting up a $35 dollar structure is a bit different than cutting up a $100 structure. Honestly, when I get around to laying down buildings, I was going to do the same thing. Cutting up buildings is good not only for kitbash, but also for creating illusion of larger structures in a limited footprint.
  by BHudson42

The technique is called "False Fronts".... A large structure might actually yield upwards of three separate structures. The cast resin models are very good for this, and at least one manufacturer produces a "bits and pieces" package to permit modification or additions or even stand-alone buildings.
  by jaystreetcrr

I've done a lot of this on my N scale layout, using plastic structure kits as a box of parts to create background flats of brick and concrete industrial buildings. You get a lot more for your money and can make some huge structures. I've used the Walthers Cornerstone structures but also like ones like the Model Power Coverall Paint which can make endless brick warehouse/factory walls. With some weathering these plastic kits look great and for big buildings are cheaper with less gluing than modular wall pieces.