• Current stored commuter rail equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Commuterrail1050

Hi folks, there are currently several coaches that are stored because of the reduced schedule. On April 5th, spring schedules goes into effect which means that they will need to bring them back before then. It’s basically the same schedule as before the pandemic with some changes such as closing plymouth as an example.
  by CRail

Is this about stored equipment or the schedule change, which does not restore service to pre-pandemic levels.
  by Commuterrail1050

It’s about the current coaches that are stored in sea view that will need to be brought back into service to cover more trains slots based on the spring schedules. That will be discussed somewhere else.
  by chrisf

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:39 am Hi folks, there are currently several coaches that are stored because of the reduced schedule. On April 5th, spring schedules goes into effect which means that they will need to bring them back before then. It’s basically the same schedule as before the pandemic with some changes such as closing plymouth as an example.
Many consists will be shorter than pre-pandemic levels. This was discussed in the FMCB meeting where the changes were announced. There isn't going to be the same need for equipment as in 2019.
  by Trinnau

Those coaches will still be extra for now. Probably a lot of 4, 5 and 6 car sets running around, no 8 or 9s.
  by Commuterrail1050

I’m well aware that it’s going to be 4-6 per consist. But what I was saying is that they are going to need a lot of coaches to fill in the slots since it’s basically almost the same schedule as last fall before the reduced went into effect. That’s all I was saying.
  by Trinnau

Not really, it's about 60 trains short of that - still a shade under pre-pandemic levels. It requires fewer trainsets to run as well. So fewer trainsets plus smaller trains still equals a coach surplus.