• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by MC6853

Some time at the end of August, a new Safetrans mast signal was put in place at the auto 366 on the West Shore Sub in Chili Center... Looks like the searchlights on the Shore are on borrowed time, too... No sign of new signal work at autos 364 or 359 as of Friday, September 4...

Also if anyone didn't get a shot of a westbound on the Shore splitting the 366 searchlight signals from the Chestnut Ridge Road bridge, you've missed your chance; the placement of this new mast signal pretty much ruins this shot...
  by FarmallBob

MC6853 wrote:Some time at the end of August, a new Safetrans mast signal was put in place at the auto 366 on the West Shore Sub in Chili Center... Looks like the searchlights on the Shore are on borrowed time, too... No sign of new signal work at autos 364 or 359 as of Friday, September 4....
The original pair of steel masts at auto 364 were removed several years ago. They were replaced by a single, Safetran aluminum mast erected on the south side. Both the EB and WB searchlight heads were relocated onto this new mast.

I wonder whether the relatively new mast be retained and the new "vader" heads swapped for the existing searchlights. Or will auto 364 be abandoned and a new auto signals be installed a bit farther east. (Currently 2 miles separate auto 366 and 364. TFrom 364 it's nearly 5 miles to the next signal, auto 359.)

FWIW as of today (Sep 6) the only activity in the area of 364 has been prep work for the Archer Rd grade crossing replacement, scheduled to commence tomorrow Sep 7.

...FB
  by nick_anshant

The West Shore cutover is scheduled for Sunday October 25. No signal suspension is needed on the Rochester Subdivision so I expect that trains will run primarily on the main through downtown Rochester. It may be a good opportunity to photograph a higher volume of traffic through that area.

Nick
  by charlie6017

Sunday afternoon (10/11), I took a drive and ended up at the Seven Springs Rd. crossing just east of Batavia. I
was pleasantly surprised to see the NYC-era automatic signals at MP 400 still in place, as I knew some of the
"Darth Vader's" were installed not far away a bit further east. Not long after I got there, a westbound stack-train
came through with CSX 7317 (ex-CR 6090) leading.

Charlie

by ctclark1

Detoured to Batavia between work and home this afternoon which takes me past the mainline twice... The new signals and a shiny new relay "shack" are on the ground just east of Colby Road. Also there are 4 or 5 small shacks and a larger shack sitting at the bottom of the access road off Rt98, I'm guessing staged for the CPs and Autos within the South Batavia area.
  by MP366

As of around 1630 hrs on 10/25/15 the cutover of new SafeTrans on the West Shore was pretty much complete..or at least the cutover trailer crew had cancelled their EC1. Here's a little before and after at Auto 364

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanric ... 292623419/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question for Nick: why does the westbound signal at QW 363.8 have 2 heads? Wouldn't the 2 heads at 366 give you all the aspects you would need approaching 382?
  by nick_anshant

MP366 wrote:As of around 1630 hrs on 10/25/15 the cutover of new SafeTrans on the West Shore was pretty much complete..or at least the cutover trailer crew had cancelled their EC1. Here's a little before and after at Auto 364

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanric ... 292623419/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question for Nick: why does the westbound signal at QW 363.8 have 2 heads? Wouldn't the 2 heads at 366 give you all the aspects you would need approaching 382?

Transportation requested that INT 363 displays an Approach Limited aspect when INT 366 displays an Approach aspect so that trains can come to a stop short of Union Street. In the old aspect sequence westbound trains would receive a Clear aspect at the INT 364 and either block the Union Street crossing when stopped at CP 382 or have to slam on the brakes to come to a stop before blocking the crossing.

Nick
  by FarmallBob

nick_anshant wrote:
MP366 wrote:In the old aspect sequence westbound trains would receive a Clear aspect at the INT 364 and either block the Union Street crossing when stopped at CP 382 or have to slam on the brakes to come to a stop before blocking the crossing.

Nick
Thanks for the clarification Nick!

Another question: The new signal mast at INT 364 was initially erected (and apparently wired up...) about 5 feet from the existing mast (first photo). About 3 weeks later the new mast/signals were uprooted, moved a couple hundred yards east then re-erected/rewired(2nd photo).

I presume someone in the field missed a line of fine print on a work order; the new mast/signals were initially erected in the wrong spot??

Incidentally the new location is about 300 ft east of MP 364 - following the cutover the new signals are designated INT 363.

Auto 364, September 17:

Auto 364, October 22:

...FB
  by nick_anshant

FarmallBob wrote: I presume someone in the field missed a line of fine print on a work order; the new mast/signals were initially erected in the wrong spot??
You are right on point.

Nick
  by FarmallBob

New 2-aspect southbound signal at MP 7.98 on the Montreal Secondary near Henry Clay Rd in Liverpool. I presume from the APP plate is is the approach signal for CP "W" about 2 miles distant.

Am I correct that the upper aspect is green - that the yellow is extinguished and the green lit only when an route is lined SB thru CP W? (I have yet to catch a movement on this line and see it in action....)

Thanks!

...FB
  by charlie6017

My guess is it's a fixed approach signal.....possibly a red lens above in the event a northbound movement is in the
area between here and CP-W.

Charlie
  by Train Detainer

Farmall Bob is correct. Green and yellow lights over the Approach sign. Used in dark territory as a distant signal. Does not convey track/occupancy information.
  by FarmallBob

Train Detainer wrote:Farmall Bob is correct. Green and yellow lights over the Approach sign. Used in dark territory as a distant signal. Does not convey track/occupancy information.
Makes perfect sense - thanks!

...FB
  by nick_anshant

June.

Nick

Otto Vondrak wrote:When is the next cutover scheduled?

-otto-