• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by airman00

This is very interesting! I have been up to catskill many times as my wife's family lives up there and occasionally see trains stopped waiting for another to pass. This obviously would eliminate that and increase traffic in the area. Another plus is that when CSX is serving the Cement plant up there (St. lawrence cement or leigh cement?) they wouldn't tie up the track.
  by piker

I spoke with an employee of a MOW contractor who said that. I also spoke with a telephone co employee who said they had been asked to locate all of their cable crossings as part of a digsafe blitz also because of this double track project. Line was very busy early and late with long stretchs of inactivity during the day presumably for MOW. There was a contractor grouting under the ROW to firm up soft spots.
I don't know this line or CSX well at all and I don't have a an opinion on whether it true or not, just reporting what I heard
  by AMK0123

Piker, Thanks for all the info. Yes, since the summer began there have been alot less traffic during the day due to MOW. Usually come late afternoon the lines are clear and the trains are back running. I know in the past when I go up to Selkirk there have been several trains waiting on the sidings along the northern end of the river line waiting to get into Selkirk yard. Maybe this will help, also I hear alot of times trains waiting on to siding for anywhere from 1 to 5 trains coming from the opposite direction before they can start back up.
  by ChessieDave

My son and I are looking to take advantage of the Monday off and head up to the riverline. Even with the summer track work being done, busiest times are still early morning and late aferternoon. Correct? Been about four years since we have been up there so any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dave & Matt
  by charlie6017

I'm not near this line, but sounds correct---been pretty much the same.

Should be lots of northbound intermodal (TOFC) trains, too.

Charlie
  by ChessieDave

Our favorites..lol. Thanks for the insight should be a great day for railfanning the riverline.
  by AMK0123

Chessie Dave, yes mornings and late afternoons are still the best. In the early morning you'll usually catch a few s/b and n/b intermodals and maybe an autorack. Come afternoon you'll be able to see S/B mixed frieghts like the Q-417 (which stops in Kingston yard to drop off cars) Q-433 and Q-409. You may also catch Q-434 and Q-410 coming north along with maybe an ethanol or two. As always it pays to have a scanner as anything can change depending on track work, etc.
  by charlie6017

You're welcome...........enjoy the day with your boy! ;-)

Charlie
  by ChessieDave

AMK thanks for the great info!! Will let you guys know how the day went
  by ChessieDave

Hello Everyone,
Was up at Bear Mountain yesterday to do some railfanning with the family. Spent most of the day on the Hudson Line so my son could film Amtrak and Metro North. I was still able to look across the river and see the Riverline but the line was dead all day ( 11am - 6pm ) , nothing on the scanner either. Anyone know if there was emergency track repair or tree clearing from the rain. Any day of railfanning is better then being at work, but was just curious if anyone knew what was going on.

David
  by mmi16

ChessieDave wrote:Hello Everyone,
Was up at Bear Mountain yesterday to do some railfanning with the family. Spent most of the day on the Hudson Line so my son could film Amtrak and Metro North. I was still able to look across the river and see the Riverline but the line was dead all day ( 11am - 6pm ) , nothing on the scanner either. Anyone know if there was emergency track repair or tree clearing from the rain. Any day of railfanning is better then being at work, but was just curious if anyone knew what was going on.

David
River Line has been having major MofW Curfew work taking place.
  by ChessieDave

That would explain it. Thank you. Was planning on going back up the 28th , do you know if it will be done by then?
  by pswag115

Scheduled till the first of nov. MP 33- MP 35 will be installing new track & ties.
  by RichM

Also, rail grinding going on in Ridgefield Park, NJ at least when I was there around 3:30 PM Wednesday. Both tracks, seemed to stop in front of the station.

Rich
  by Phase Gap

Anyone know why the Riverline is turning into a parking lot? Also they are using 1 train to pick up all the crews and bring them to Kingston and then tie the train down? Just wondering