• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Legio X

How would some kids be able to derail these loaded hoppers? Where did this happen?

by DogBert

Release the brakes, let it roll right off the end of the track....

by WIN Tower

perhaps i should have been a little more specific...does anybody know the schedule of the stone train between cedar hill and fresh pond all four moves ? loaded train from cedar hill to fresh pond , light engines from fresh pond to cedar hill , light engines from cedar hill to fresh pond , emp
ty train from fresh pond to cedar hill . the C.P. train crossed over the L.I.R.R. mainline northbound at 4:35p , two engines and sixteen cars .

by Legio X

So I guess it was CSX that crossed Hell Gate Bronx-bound earlier, around 1330?

by DogBert

yes. CSX at 1.30, crawling along with 2 SDs.

P&W just went south - very loud - crossing HG at 1AM. Didn't see if the NYA engines were in the train or not.

From what I know, P&W comes in around 12-1AM, then leaves first thing the next morning, usually around 9AM. Don't quote me on that just yet though ( I didn't live close enough to the line before to really know, these days though I'm close and working from home enough that I don't have a choice but to know).

by WIN Tower

the C.P. train crossed over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. northbound at 4:30p , two engines with twenty four cars . the last four cars were flats with M-1's aboard .

by emfinite

CSX came to Fresh Pond on Saturday, April 24 with 2 CSX and 2 Conrail SD40-2s with about 20-25 cars. This was around 11-1115 AM

by Legio X

12000 h.p. for 25 cars.....Why overpower a train? Were they going to go back Bronx-bound with a long train of empties?

by emfinite

There was a train on the trestle and I did not stay long enough to see if the engines took that train out, but I am guessing so...

by DogBert

If there seems to be too much power for one way of the trip, chances are they needed it for the other half of the trip...

I believe saturday's train was 3 Sd's and a Gp40. The SD's in CSX paint are all in their new darker paint scheme, whereas the GPs and B36s are in the older gray/blue/yellow nose scheme. Came back over hell gate around 2pm. Didn't count cars, but there seemed to be enough to justify all them engines (besides, I doubt they want to waste time splitting engines at oak point when they can drag them all along for the ride)

by emfinite

I only saw the train moving from behind the other cut of cars still on the trestle, so it was hard to tell if they were all SD40's.

by Scrap em All

When CSX runs from Selkirk to Oak Point they come down with 100 to 150+ cars every night. Half of that train comes to NYA the other half is for their Bronx customers. They usually run that train with 4 Sd's with occasionally their "yard" engines B-36 and GP-40's being shuttled back and forth between Selkirk and O.P. for service. The Fresh Pond turn usually needs 2 of any of their engines for the run, sometimes 3 if they come in with 80+ cars. But 4 engines means just two things, 1) They are to lazy to break em up, or 2) they turn all engines on the wye in Pond if the leading engine has a malfunction, so the good trailing unit will lead upstate overnight. That run needs the 4 engines because they have to get up to track speed pretty quick (50mph) on Metro North and be able to stay out of all regular trains way.

by DogBert

On second thought... I saw today's csx train from a distance and took a shot or two with the digital, upon zooming in it looks like the ends on it are longer, thus what I presumed to be a CSX gp40 may be an older csx sd40... so perhaps one has crept into the pool of hudson line power (which is a select group of engines with their plows cut for the MNCR 3rd rail) ? I'll try to get a better look at it if/when it comes back during the week.

Also, if it's raining or snowing, the run to FP & back can usually use 3 or 4 engines. I recall them stalling on the return trip with just 2 awhile back when the weather sucked. 2 more had to come from oak point to help out.

by Scrap em All

I been working the yard job for about 3 months and have not seen a GP-40 once yet in that time span. On second thought, I have not seen a GP-40 in Pond in well over two years. They are very rare in Pond, but you usually can see one or two in Oak Point while driving on I-95. All the variation in SD-40 paint schemes include Conrail. CSX's "bright 90's", and CSX "dark future". Last week I seen 3 SD40's, each one in a different mentioned scheme plus 1 B36 coupled to them.
For even more scarce CSX rarities, ones I have not seen in close to 5 years, CSX SW-1500, MP15AC, and a single GP-15 lurking between Selkirk and Pond. As we all know the B23-7's got retired 3 years ago. They used to be very common (3 to 5) engines a day, then they disappeared overnight. The SD-40 dominated since.

by emfinite

Saw a Conrail painted GP15 heading north through CP5 on the River Line last Saturday.