• CSX Layoffs

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by rocketman

Hear that the fuhrer has ordered a 20% man power reduction per terminal on Jan. 6th - another vicious rumor?
  by roadster

Heard this since Dcember 1st. 15-20%, system wide, all crafts. Buffalo, NY already lost 15 on Dec. 26, 2008. Merry Christmas. Normally, after the holidays there is the subsequent winter slow period and seasonal staffing reductions. This year we have the economy sliding into the basement. So while some terminals may loose upwards of 20%, some may loose less, others more. depends on the type of traffic handled by said terminals, and how that traffic is effected by the current situation. Auto, coiled steel, oil, Ethanol, containers are all going to suffer more than some others. Employees with less than 3 years should be concerned. On the other half of this coin is that when the recently signed (Oct., 2008) Rail Safety Act take effect this next summer. More crews will be needed to cover, as crews will not be available for 12 hrs after each run vs. 8 hrs now. Max. 276hrs a month. All we can do is wait and see how far the hatchet cuts.
  by vtfan

I'm to markup in 1 week......will markup but also thinking will be furloughed....so all this training is for what? 17 weeks and now I can use what I have been trained for or make the money for all the free overtime i gave to csx while training. Whats going on with our screwed up government......they need to take their pay from them and let them feel how it is and then maybe something will be done faster for us working people and the ones who lose everything. God they piss me off on all their bickering just do their job and help us out. I work at the huntington divison at russell and god I hope I dont get furloughed! but its coming
  by CSXACCAMAN

Saturday January 17 2009 All the CSX trainees got the hatchet system wide. We are officially suspended until the fourth quarter perhaps. All trainees regardless of how much longer you had to train is now layed off from two weeks of training left to 12 weeks left ... see ya later. I wonder how many guys will come back and how many hundreds of thousands of dollars did CSX just flush down the toilet.
  by vtfan

Where did you hear that? I just check the IVR and still on the local job that I am assigned too. Do you know of a site or person to contact to find out for sure?
  by CSXACCAMAN

I'm on the seaboard side in VA and we were all summoned to command central to check in all radios lanterns and hotel cards. My buds are in Cumberland, Florence and a few other divisions all had the same meetings at their own deathstars. At the end they tell you maybe we'll see you at the end of the year now get the hell out.
  by vtfan

were or are you still in the training process? I got like 1 week til markingup. I'm in the huntington divison
  by CSXACCAMAN

Week 12 of 16 maybe you guys got spared. If they didn't call you maybe your ok. We have only three trainees here in SeaBoard Richmond and all three were cut today. We work a couple Huntington jobs but I don't know anyone there. We were all out of town and were deadheaded home just for this special occasion.
  by vtfan

i have my last class meeting wed so I guess we will find out then what our status is. so many rumors. What do you guys get? insurance? probally nothing since you didnt finish the training period. wonder how it goes when or if they call you back? do you come back as a conductor or do you have to redo the training?
  by CSXACCAMAN

We'll I can tell you it's no rumor for us, I don't know about insurance I have heard three months... and if we are gone for longer than a month or two we have to redo all of our training.
  by vtfan

That sucks...............if they do that to us with only 1 week left i'll be pissed. I've worked more hours than they paid us for to work. way more than whats required for the 17 weeks of training. Did you guys have any transfers there?
  by CSXACCAMAN

No there some transfers working at ACCA on the C&O side but if your not marked up your gone... maybe since you only had a week they'll let you finish I'm sure if not they would have let you go today.
  by vtfan

hey i'll post back after wed and let you know whats going on here in russell
  by boozer

Got the axe today at 4:30 in Wilmington. NC
  by SurlyKnuckle

Baltimore, (Washington DC included) got today. 0900, turn in your keys and radios

I kept the radio :)

...I'm going back...what else am I going to do? Get a job for the rest of the year...go back, live on.

I feel really bad for everyone in this. I went with some great folks, and I trained with some good people. It's not totally CSX...they started furloughing people 'round here in December...only hoped the title of "CT" would save me from the dreaded "FU" code.

What is the deal with railroad retirement unemployement? We've been paying into it, have we become eligable?

No one at CSX is answering my calls....

-----Whistledick