Railroad Forums 

• CSX Intermodal

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1227978  by cordgrass

Hello everyone,
I am working on a college project on CSX intermodal (CSXI). The class requires us to propose a strategy for CSX. Our strategy is for CSX to purchase a small trucking firm in the Northeastern United States to supports its intermodal operations. Here are the following questions i have:

Does CSX currently own any trucking assets?

From what i have researched CSXI offers it's customers full service delivery by using owner operator trucking. What is the cost of to CSX for this service?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 #1228627  by v8interceptor

I would strongly suggest that you repost your question in the CSX forum:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=53

But to address your question, CSX does not currently own any "traditional" trucking companies (in the sense that the truck operator owns it's own "power units" i.e semi tractors).
But they are able to provide a competive service against conventional over-the-road trucking companies by using third party trucks (usually owner-operators) to pull CSX containers and chassis to and from customer locations.
This is a common practice in the U.S trucking industry as many of the OTR truckers use O/O tractors in some or all of their operations.
CSX's main competitor in Eastern line haul freight service, Norfolk Southern, does much the same thing, especially in it's Triple Crown business unit which uses Roadrailer trailers to service a customer network.
http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en ... crown.html

So the argument you need to make in your project is why CSX should own and operate the truck tractors in addition to the containers and chassis.