• CSX dispatchers

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by dummy

here in western ny the dispacher is called the NF dispatcher. for example when a train calls the dispatcher they would say......Q356 TO THE CSX NF DISPATCHER OVER. whats the NF mean ? when conrail was here it was the buffalo mainline dispatcher. NF = niagra falls ? anybody know ?

by railohio

It's just a two-letter code CSX assigns dispatcher desks. We've got the AR, BD, SC, IF, etc. in Ohio.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

on the Boston and albany, the distpatcher is called the NA

by clearblock

The first letter indicates the dispatch center: N = Selkirk

The second letter is the "desk" in that center.

CSX Desk/ Former CR
NA / Boston
NB / Berkshire
NC / Hudson
ND / Mohawk
NE / St Lawrence
NF / Buffalo Main Line
NG / Buffalo Terminal
NH / Lakeshore
NI / Trenton Line
NJ / River Line

(Post edited to show the NI was officially known as "Trenton Line"
before CSX changed to the two letter desigators.)
Last edited by clearblock on Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RailBus63

Were the Conrail desk names a throwback to former field dispatching locations? It never made sense to me to call the dispatcher responsible for the Syracuse-Buffalo section of the route the 'Buffalo Main Line' dispatcher when there are other main lines that also run into Buffalo.

Jim

by CP Wood

clearblock wrote:The first letter indicates the dispatch center: N = Selkirk

The second letter is the "desk" in that center.

CSX Desk/ Former CR
NA / Boston
NB / Berkshire
NC / Hudson
ND / Mohawk
NE / St Lawrence
NF / Buffalo Main Line
NG / Buffalo Terminal
NH / Lakeshore
NI / CR NJ Shared Assets
NJ / River Line
If these dispatchers are based out of Selkirk. Why is it that I hear "NI Jacksonville Dispatcher to K650"... Do they have two centers?

by clearblock

RailBus63 wrote:Were the Conrail desk names a throwback to former field dispatching locations? It never made sense to me to call the dispatcher responsible for the Syracuse-Buffalo section of the route the 'Buffalo Main Line' dispatcher when there are other main lines that also run into Buffalo.

Jim
In the early PC days, the dispatchers for the Syracuse to Buffalo area were in the basement of the old Rochester station. There were "East End" and "West End" dispatchers for the main line east and west of Rochester and a "Falls Road Dispatcher" for the Falls Road. This facility was shut down and moved to Buffalo and East End and West End merged into "Buffalo Main Line". Then, CR later consolidated everything in Selkirk but kept the dispatcher territory names.

by clearblock

CP Wood wrote: If these dispatchers are based out of Selkirk. Why is it that I hear "NI Jacksonville Dispatcher to K650"... Do they have two centers?
Interesting, CSX changed the former CR desk designations to "N" for Selkirk and "I" for Indianapolis. There is also another dispatch center at Chicago. The NI desk WAS at Selkirk last I knew but CSX had announced plans to shift some dispatch desks from Jacksonville to Chicago last year. Possibly the NI desk was moved to Jacksonville as part of the latest game of musical chairs for the dispatchers. Can anyone confirm this?

I noticed some dispatchers now saying "CSX NF Selkirk" instead of just "CSX NF" so it is also possible there is some duplication of desk designations between Jacksonville and the 3 other dispatch centers.

by CSX Conductor

CP Wood wrote:If these dispatchers are based out of Selkirk. Why is it that I hear "NI Jacksonville Dispatcher to K650"... Do they have two centers?
Are you certain that is what you heard, and not Jacksonville Mechanical?

by clearblock

Here is a little more history on the Selkirk dispatch desks:

I edited my previous post to show that the "NI" was officially called the "Trenton Line" dispatcher before they switched to the two letter designations.

In late CR days (1998) the Selkirk "I" desk was the Delaware Dispatcher that handled the Buffalo Line and the S. Tier line from Sparrow to Johnson and the "J" desk was the Portage Dispatcher that handled the W end of the S. Tier and the Corning Secondary. With the transfer of these lines to NS, these territories went to NS Harrisburg and Selkirk picked up "Trenton Line" for the "I" desk and "River Line" for the "J" desk.

by CSX Conductor

PLain & Simple : The Con-Rail way was more simple!!!!!! :wink:

by CP Wood

To later add info about the Selkirk/ Jacksonville thing.

Yesterday I did indeed finally hear "CSX NI Selkirk to Q418". Now im not saying those other times I didn't hear Jacksonville. To CSX Conductor: Im very sure that they said NI Jacksonville Dispatcher and not Mechanical. On that particular day he was not talking about anything mechanical wise. Justn doing normal dispatch duties.

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:on the Boston and albany, the distpatcher is called the NA
FYI Matt. The B&A is controlled by the NA from Cove exclusive to CP-92 in Wilbraham. CP-92 to CP-187 is the NB. :wink:
ClearBlock wrote:I noticed some dispatchers now saying "CSX NF Selkirk" instead of just "CSX NF" so it is also possible there is some duplication of desk designations between Jacksonville and the 3 other dispatch centers.
I have also noticed that some dispatchers also include their own initials in addition to the Selkirk. IE: CSX NA Dispatcher JE out"
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by conrail_engineer

clearblock wrote:
I noticed some dispatchers now saying "CSX NF Selkirk" instead of just "CSX NF" so it is also possible there is some duplication of desk designations between Jacksonville and the 3 other dispatch centers.
No desk duplication. The current protocols stipulate that crews/dispatchers not only call jobs (Q351) but date as well and engine numbers ("Q35104,5235, IH Dispatcher Indianapolis, O-Ver!) The dispatchers, for their part, are required to identify their centers. ("IG Dispatcher Indianapolis - who's calling?)

It's all part of the CSX Way, which is a whole lot of jaw-jaw saying NOthing.

by CSX Conductor

If we could move trains better we could ommit the date, lol. :P