Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston Line Timetable

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Which do/did you prefer

Under CSX
29%
Under Conrail
71%
 #25888  by CRail

Anyone know how to obtain a timetable for the Boston line

#25935  by CSX Conductor

Hire out with the railroad. Nowadays, even though we have on-line sites for everything, such as E-Bay........since we are in a "Heightened Security" world the railroads often attempt to prohibit the sale of any items which contain company related information (i.e. employee timetables).

#25968  by CRail

being 16 is kind of an obstacle to your plan

#25995  by railohio

Do you want a timetable that lists the schedules for each train or a CSX-issued employee timetable that lists operating instructions for the line?

#26049  by CRail

train timetable

#26130  by railohio

And the fact that printed freight train schedules don't exist anymore could also be a problem...

Etc

#26153  by Noel Weaver

Probably your best bet is to try to latch on to an old timetable which every
now and then becomes available from a collector.
I am not in the process of disposing of anything at present although down
the road ahead, I may need to cut some of my stuff.
Check out the National Association of Timetable Collectors
Post Office Box 217
Bethpage, NY, 11714-0217
Don't expect something for free but they may be able to help you.
There are various collectors who are also dealers who might be able to
help you.
Go to a train show or as many train shows as you can, generally you can
find collectors who deal in paper items.
Finally, if you still have no luck, check out magazine adds, there is also a
"railfan timetable" likely available, I think I have seen them mentioned
in places.
Do not expect the railroad or their employees to help you, it is not too
likely that they will.
Noel Weaver

#26230  by CRail

I want to know train names and such. (ie. i want to be able to identify Q425
 #26258  by jfturner

Go to the Bullsheet's website. They have compiled most of the "Q" jobs, where they run, what Conrail symbol they used to be.

There are no published train schedules for freight anymore.

If you are looking for Operating Instructions and Track Diagrams, keep an eye out at a Train Show for dealers who sell old Timetables and other railroad paperwork.

#26350  by CRail

kool thats exactly what i was looking for. thank you

#26430  by railohio

Just a warning, the "schedules" shown on the Bullsheet are just rough estimates and are rarely accurate given the recent... "meltdown" on CSX. The Bullsheet also recently experienced server problems and was restored using a very out of date backup, I think over two years old. This seriously negates the information on it.

That being said, the Bullsheet will hardly allow you to identify a train when trackside. The best way to do this is vigiantly monitor the scanner for symbols and keep notes (on paper or mentally) of when particular trains operate and what cars they usually carry. It's not hard to identify a train by sight, but it's something that takes a few weeks of observations.

#27038  by RailBus63

I believe the Bull Sheet schedules are now up to date once again.

Keep in mind that freight train schedules are not like passenger schedules - the listed times are an approximation, and trains may run early or late. As a rule, the intermodal Q trains in the '100' series usually are pretty consistent. For example, I can usually count on seeing Q113 working at DeWitt Yard in Syracuse around noon each day.

Jim D.

#27054  by CRail

Im well aware of the approximation. There is a manifest train (not sure of the number) that comes through Ashland out of Framingham at about noon every day. I call it the 10 min freight because it can take up to 10 minutes to go by. it comes between 11:30 and 12:45 every day.

#27658  by CSX Conductor

That "10 minute freight" that you are referring to is Q423. It runs daily except for Sundays. Crew reports to North Framingham yard @ 1000 hours, unless there is a power shortage or crew isn't rested.

(formerly Con-Rail "FRSE")