• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by frrc

roberttosh wrote:Anyone know if the full doublestack clearance work is done yet? Thanks!
'supposed' to be done by October 2012....
  by MBTA1016

I'm just curious. With all the work going on do they plan to up the speed limit on the line at all? What are the current speeds west of beacon park? I know that further west of worcester is hilly terrain(berkshires) that must kill the speeds on long heavy trains.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Mbta fan wrote:I'm just curious. With all the work going on do they plan to up the speed limit on the line at all? What are the current speeds west of beacon park? I know that further west of worcester is hilly terrain(berkshires) that must kill the speeds on long heavy trains.
Not on CSX's dime. East of Worcester is the T's problem. West of Worcester is Amtrak's problem. CSX doesn't care if it runs freight 40 or 60 MPH. If either passenger carrier wants to contribute to the Class 4 speeds fund, they're welcome to do so. But until they do it remains 60 MPH passenger, 40 MPH freight.
  by Knucklehead

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:I'm just curious. With all the work going on do they plan to up the speed limit on the line at all? What are the current speeds west of beacon park? I know that further west of worcester is hilly terrain(berkshires) that must kill the speeds on long heavy trains.
Not on CSX's dime. East of Worcester is the T's problem. West of Worcester is Amtrak's problem. CSX doesn't care if it runs freight 40 or 60 MPH. If either passenger carrier wants to contribute to the Class 4 speeds fund, they're welcome to do so. But until they do it remains 60 MPH passenger, 40 MPH freight.
There are several areas west of CP4 that are 50 MPH for freight, and CSXT does run their trains at that speed.
  by Ironman

Max speed for freight is 50 MPH on a decent portion of the line west of Worcester.
  by Komarovsky

I heard that the track east of Worcester will be upgraded to class 4 as part of the move to improve service. No timeline on the upgrade though.

Komarovsky wrote:I heard that the track east of Worcester will be upgraded to class 4 as part of the move to improve service. No timeline on the upgrade though.
East of Nevins Yard in Framingham needs a total signal replacement from the ancient ABS setup. That's pricey, but it is the single biggest blocker to PTC compliance on the southside. I think even the cab signal-less Needham and Franklin Lines still have CTC track circuits; first leg of the B&A is a total rip-out/rebuild job before it can support cabs and ACSES.

I'm not sure what's keeping it from a Class 4 bump Framingham-Worcester where there are existing cab signals. Other than the turn north at MA 122 in Worcester and the hairpin right before the CSX yard it's mostly straight with very gentle curves. Are they just not using Class 4-rated switches? Would adding the PTC layer alone pretty much do it? Seems like it should be a pretty straightforward and inexpensive job Framingham-Worcester, the straight Palmer-Springfield segment, and everywhere else that's not twisting too much around Worcester hills or Berkshires terrain.
  by Komarovsky

The final EIR for the restoration of service west of Framingham stated that the line would be operated at class 4 speeds once "full service" was implemented. The only stumbling block listed was the non cab signaled territory and some minor track work(forget what it was). The target date for this was 2005 btw.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

roberttosh wrote:Anyone know if the full doublestack clearance work is done yet? Thanks!

there was a picture on nerails.com that showed Q022 arriving in Worcester with double stacks behind 2 brand new CSX locomotives in the 3000 series

Komarovsky wrote:The final EIR for the restoration of service west of Framingham stated that the line would be operated at class 4 speeds once "full service" was implemented. The only stumbling block listed was the non cab signaled territory and some minor track work(forget what it was). The target date for this was 2005 btw.
Probably just making sure any substandard interlockings get upped to 80 MPH spec so the FRA can bless them with a Class 4 rating. I've got to think the cab signal system west of Framingham can already handle it, and wresting the dispatching away from CSX was half the battle. That'll be a nice, immediately noticeable improvement for all services even with east-of-Framingham still remaining a tough problem.
  by Komarovsky

Aside from the lack of cabs, what other issues would there be that would prevent 80mph operation east of Framingham? The impression I got from the EIR was that the entire line was planned to operate with an 80mph max speed, not just Worcester-Framingham.

Komarovsky wrote:Aside from the lack of cabs, what other issues would there be that would prevent 80mph operation east of Framingham? The impression I got from the EIR was that the entire line was planned to operate with an 80mph max speed, not just Worcester-Framingham.
Nothing...just replacing the 60 MPH-capped ABS with real CTC + cabs. And maybe doing the same as out west making sure all the switches are fully 80 MPH-rated. Line's very straight. Few curves of note aside from the swing between Route 128 and Wellesley Farms.
  by roberttosh

Heard Trans-Flo finished up in Boston last week and now everything is at Westboro. Also hearing that the Intermodal traffic may be shifting to Worcester starting Oct 2nd. This was not directly from a CSX source, more 2nd hand info, but still thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else is hearing the same thing.
  by railman616

So, working for CSX in the Boston area and having my job effected by the Beacon Park changes means I am just a second hand source?
  by roberttosh

railman616 wrote:So, working for CSX in the Boston area and having my job effected by the Beacon Park changes means I am just a second hand source?
Uhmm......and when did I say that you were my source?