Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1630040  by Train60

This is a mistake. The planned new service (2x RT per day) is between New Haven, Springfield and Boston and it will surely not use the name Lake Shore Limited.
 #1630404  by type 7 3704

Looks like CSX freight has indeed returned to Beacon Park. Not a great photo, but the dirty dirt containers on flat cars are visible:
Attachments:
DSC_4120_cropped.JPG
DSC_4120_cropped.JPG (662.52 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
DSC_4120.JPG
DSC_4120.JPG (7.18 MiB) Viewed 1331 times
 #1630418  by johnpbarlow

I was wondering why two new stub end tracks were recently laid in the ruins of Beacon Park yard! Wonder what local CSX uses to service this business?
 #1630429  by bostontrainguy

Just wondering as I watch this . . . when the vandals paint their graffiti on these railcars, does the paint also spray on the automobiles inside?
 #1630460  by type 7 3704

Some daylight pics of Beacon Park from earlier today:
Attachments:
DSC_4130.JPG
DSC_4130.JPG (7.99 MiB) Viewed 1103 times
DSC_4128.JPG
DSC_4128.JPG (7.84 MiB) Viewed 1103 times
DSC_4121.JPG
DSC_4121.JPG (7.34 MiB) Viewed 1103 times
 #1630461  by type 7 3704

Some more pics.

Also a pic of the extra bypass track they added to the Boston landing station (possibly to get freight cars past the high-level platforms?)
Attachments:
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG (3.35 MiB) Viewed 1092 times
DSC_4135.JPG
DSC_4135.JPG (7.48 MiB) Viewed 1098 times
DSC_4131.JPG
DSC_4131.JPG (7 MiB) Viewed 1098 times
 #1630528  by copcars

In regards to the dirty dirt cars at Beacon Park in Allston,ma(BOSTON).Back in Conrail days, in about 1980,there was a large diesel fuel leak at the engine fueling racks.The oil seeped all the way to the Charles River for days or months before anyone knew there was a leak.It The river was about 150 to 200 yards from the fuel rack.The fuel rack to fuel engines had a 5 or 6 inch line which was fine,A small 2 inch line came off of these 6" lines and went underground to heat the engine house which was right beside the fuel rack.This 2 inch line could have been leaking for over a year before anyone knew about it.A new line was run overhead, but it was too late, the ground in that whole area was saturated with diesel fuel.Over time vertical corrugated steel pipes were put in,like a well,to monitor the ground water at multiple locations.A private contractor built a building with a large oil separator under the mass pike ramps.Home heating oil is the same as diesel fuel ,there was a large 50,000+- gallon oil tank that fed the fuel racks and heated engine house.I am sure Harvard university knew about this when they got involved with this property.Harvard endowment is up in the BILLIONS,so they can afford it.When this happened it was a good day, not to be the supervisor.Ido not know the soil conditions there ,but hopefully there is a layer of clay so the oil could only seep down so much.This was probably 4 or 5 times worse than the contamination in OHIO at the derailment money wise to clean up.
 #1630544  by BandA

Beacon Park is right next to the river, the river is dammed so there is no tidal flow and a constant water table level. So most of the oil contamination should be above the water table. If they had an oil separation system trying to filter/mitigate the oil running for 40 years they should have removed a lot of the contamination by now. I remember an elementary school had an underground oil tank behind the school. After a sheen showed up on the Charles I river, I think, they traced it to a tributary brook and then to a storm drain pipe and then to the school. They excavated the 40 year old tank. I stood next to the open pit where the tank had been and one whiff of saturated diesel oil fumes was instantly nauseating. I think if I had lit a match there would have been a fireball. They installed an oil separator, converted to natural gas and life continues.
 #1630545  by BandA

Not that you ever really clean up a site. The dirty-dirt is shipped out of state to a "sanitary landfill" where it is entombed without rainwater for eternity or at least until we forget about it. Not like the oil is removed and you can grow vegetables in the soil.