• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Trinnau

There's long been discussion on the T side of a "perimeter lines" dispatcher to handle Fitchburg to State Line continuous. If the state bought the Brook and Lowell Branch it'd be a reality.

But you're correct, potentially a few different boundaries in there that way, though it all depends how they break it up on the T side.
  by newpylong

Oh but neither are for sale...and now there is even less of a shot of them being sold if this goes through. Same for the Worcester Main.

Not a shot they agree to stay in Billerica.

I also wouldn't give up dispatching on any further territory that will legally be transferred to them by way of purchasing PAS/PAR.

Too many concessions.
  by Trinnau

The T has purchase rights Fitchburg to CPF-335, the Brook and the Lowell Branch as part of their trackage rights agreements for those same territories. The 1976 deed stipulates dispatching MBTA territory must be done in the state. I agree CSX will move their dispatching out of Billerica, but the MBTA territory won't leave. I'm not sure what's in the Knowledge Corridor purchase agreement, but knowing who was involved in negotiating it they may have the same requirement for it to be dispatched in state.

So while the dispatching may be legally transferred to them by sale, they may be legally required by pre-existing agreements (that they have said they would honor) to keep dispatchers in Massachusetts to handle certain territories. It's not a concession, they were fully aware when they went in. It mattered so much to Pan Am because it was the mainline where for CSX it's just another subdivision. It makes more sense for their corporate structure to move the dispatchers, trim the territories down and let MBTA handle their own property. No different than many other parts of the Northeast, including the Worcester Line which MBTA took over dispatching from CSX less than a decade ago (granted CSX largely retreated to west of Worcester).
  by QB 52.32

BandA wrote: I didn't see anything about double-tracking WOR-SPG, are the frequency increases requested for existing single track?
The requested conditions seek CSX's cooperation and requirement to reach an accord for multiple Worcester-Springfield roundtrips and up to 2 daily Boston-Albany roundtrips as well as accelerating rates of speed as part of the E-W Passenger Rail project. Certainly exceeds the capacity of the existing infrastructure and, if implemented to planned potential, simple doubletracking as well. Goes to the possibility PAS could play as an option in all of this.
  by newpylong

Trinnau wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm The T has purchase rights Fitchburg to CPF-335, the Brook and the Lowell Branch as part of their trackage rights agreements for those same territories. The 1976 deed stipulates dispatching MBTA territory must be done in the state. I agree CSX will move their dispatching out of Billerica, but the MBTA territory won't leave. I'm not sure what's in the Knowledge Corridor purchase agreement, but knowing who was involved in negotiating it they may have the same requirement for it to be dispatched in state.

So while the dispatching may be legally transferred to them by sale, they may be legally required by pre-existing agreements (that they have said they would honor) to keep dispatchers in Massachusetts to handle certain territories. It's not a concession, they were fully aware when they went in. It mattered so much to Pan Am because it was the mainline where for CSX it's just another subdivision. It makes more sense for their corporate structure to move the dispatchers, trim the territories down and let MBTA handle their own property. No different than many other parts of the Northeast, including the Worcester Line which MBTA took over dispatching from CSX less than a decade ago (granted CSX largely retreated to west of Worcester).
Good explanation, it will be interesting.

I continue to be perplexed at the effort put forth to get the deal done. It's crazy...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Trinnau wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 pm The T has purchase rights Fitchburg to CPF-335
Mr. Trinnau, really!!!

Does the Commonwealth of Tax wish to resurrect the Flying Yankee?

Isn't such on display at Edaville RR on Cape Cod?

But more to the point; how has this application for the combination of CSX/PAR become "muddied up" with all these passenger train issues?

Isn't the public interest to be served by means of building a rail system capable of providing meaningful freight transportation so as to retain and attract industry, including maritime, to the Northern New England region, and without disturbing any existing publicly funded service or infrastructure improvements?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Safetee

The flying yankee flew to new hampshire several years ago for restoration to operating condition. It is highly unlikely that the FY ever runs again especially in Massachusetts because the state of new hampshire technically owns it and in the meantime the restoration is hibernating..
  by VTRail301

newpylong wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:52 pm
Well this seems pretty harsh with no real background on why it takes place.
Pan Am for months hasn't been picking up traffic from the VRS, sometimes two weeks go by before they actually lift the interchange, why send a VRS crew down when nothing gets moved and nothing is dropped off for the VRS?
For the record, there are several folks on the VRS that are qualified on Pan Am property, as well as NECR property, so it wouldn't be too hard to qualify said guys on the territory, seems they are already certified on the rules and regulations.

The pay is a lot better than that too. Not sure where this low ball number even comes from.
  by newpylong

I'm not sure what you're quoting it's blank.

If you're talking about my pay comment, I was being facetious with the number to make a point. They pay poorly and there's a reason employees jump ship to Pan Am. Just like there's a reason Pan Am employees jump ship to Keolis and Amtrak.

Regarding territory, not only would they have to be qualified all the way out to Rotterdam or XO on Pan Am but also CP. This goes back to being way more trouble than it's worth for that outfit. I am being as polite as I can.
  by GTIKING

Mellon kept the B&M around on paper for the dispatching and freight rights over the T. CSXT wants to dissolve B&M Corp with the others in the filing cabinets. Will be interesting how they pull that one off since Mass isn't exactly freight oriented.
  by Trinnau

Not sure how that applies, there have been plenty of railroad transactions where the entity dissolves and the rights transfer to the new owners. Someone has to be responsible for providing common carrier service. That wasn't the only reason Mellon kept all the railroads around on paper.
  by VTRail301

newpylong wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm I'm not sure what you're quoting it's blank.

If you're talking about my pay comment, I was being facetious with the number to make a point. They pay poorly and there's a reason employees jump ship to Pan Am. Just like there's a reason Pan Am employees jump ship to Keolis and Amtrak.

Regarding territory, not only would they have to be qualified all the way out to Rotterdam or XO on Pan Am but also CP. This goes back to being way more trouble than it's worth for that outfit. I am being as polite as I can.
And to be truthful, there are guys certified on CP rules as well that work for VRS, so it can be done, just need qualification trips.

Polite, maybe, but it was a bit harsh coming out the gate like that with no real background on the interchange at Hoosick. Sorry, just being as polite as I can as well.
  by johnpbarlow

Honorable Congressman Richard E. Neal has spoken!
...This acquisition will have a significant impact on a number of regional interests not only in the First District of Massachusetts, but throughout the New England region. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance that the Surface Transportation Board take into consideration the testimony of every stakeholder partaking in today’s hearings. I, for one, am opposed.
Neal goes on to rant with assertions supported by no facts, except for citing a marginally relevant OSHA investigation and finding against CSX re: its firing of a whistleblower (again no details were provided).

Neal relates his personal experience with CSX:
While I share many of the concerns raised by my colleagues in the federal government, I would be remiss if I did not attest to my personal experiences with CSX. As a main operator in western and central Massachusetts, I have worked with CSX officials for a number of years, striving to meet the needs of my constituents. As a potential catalyst for economic growth and regional sustainability, I have always viewed CSX as having the ability to be a vital partner, eager to collaborate with regional officials, stakeholders, and residents to address their concerns and ensure requent and reliable rail services throughout the area. Unfortunately, during my time in public office, I have found CSX to be unresponsive to countless personal requests for action on issues relative to rail operations in my district. This concern is one that is shared by local and state officials, and we all agree that CSX is hindering our regional growth.
Hopefully Oberman et al will see that Neal's testimony offers zero content relevant to the matter at hand and stands in stark contrast to almost every other commenting party with regard to competitive impacts of the acquisition, etc.

Interestingly, Neal offers no commentary re: Pan Am's performance in Western/Central Mass implying that CSX is the problem here. And from what I can see at OpenSecrets.org, CSX has not donated to Neal's campaign or Leadership PACs but Norfolk Southern has donated $5,000 to his PACs (https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... 100&type=C)

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 303491.pdf
  by johnpbarlow

BTW, if you wish to watch STB's January 13th hearings re: the CSX acquisition of Pan Am here are the details
The hearing will be available for public viewing at https://www.youtube.com/embed/live_stre ... 7p771aafNg. The hearing may also be viewed through Zoom, although persons wishing to do so must register for that option via the following link: https://www.zoomgov.com/webinar/registe ... yp0rRHoFnw. The hearing will be recorded, and the link to the recording will be available on the Board’s website at www.stb.gov, under the tab “News & Communications,” by clicking on “Meetings & Hearings.” Additionally, a transcript will be created and will be made available as soon as possible on the Board’s website, under the tab “News & Communications,” by clicking on “Transcripts & Statements.”
  by newpylong

VTRail301 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 pm
newpylong wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm I'm not sure what you're quoting it's blank.

And to be truthful, there are guys certified on CP rules as well that work for VRS, so it can be done, just need qualification trips.

Polite, maybe, but it was a bit harsh coming out the gate like that with no real background on the interchange at Hoosick. Sorry, just being as polite as I can as well.
My personal opinion of the outfit aside, the whole notion is rather irrelevant. If the VRS wanted that, and believed it was their best option, that would likely have been what the STB is reviewing, not rights to Deerfield.