• Crossing Gates

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by b&m 1566

I see crossings all the time that have quadrant gates. I even seen some crossing that only have two gates but the gates are long enough to stretch the entire length of the roadway.
As clearblock mentioned in a previous post, that the gates are suppose to go down about 5 seconds after the lights and bells start going off; I know that’s not the case all the time. I have seen gate go down immediately. One such place that I can remember off the top of my head is in Nashua, NH the gates at a particular crossing start going down right when the lights and bells start going off. I have seen many crossing however go off with the gates fallowing about 5 seconds after and even noticed with quadrant gates that the two gates on the opposite side of traffic go down last; I never new why that happed but I do now.

by clearblock

The FRA requires that the flashers start at least 20 seconds before the train arrives and the gates don't start down until at least 3 seconds after the flashers are on. The gate must be all the way down at least 5 seconds before the train arrives.

Since the FRA rule is for a minimum of 3 second delay, the gates are usually set to start down between 3-5 seconds after the flashers.

Here is the FRA rule on gate arms:

"Sec. 234.223 Gate arm.

Each gate arm, when in the downward position, shall extend across

each lane of approaching highway traffic and shall be maintained in a

condition sufficient to be clearly viewed by approaching highway users.

Each gate arm shall start its downward motion not less than three

seconds after flashing lights begin to operate and shall assume the

horizontal position at least five seconds before the arrival of any

normal train movement through the crossing. At those crossings equipped

with four quadrant gates, the timing requirements of this section apply

to entrance gates only."
Last edited by clearblock on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Robert Gift

Fascinating

What is "...1-lane bridges with 'street running' track found on the South Island..."

Also, I thought it was 6 seconds before gates began to descend.

I hope you reported the gates descending as soon as the signals activated. We must give drivers a chance.

Thank you,