Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1474002  by RailsEast

Thanks for the video, Erik, and thanks for the heads-up for tomorrow, Donny. The fire turned out to be behind the train at or about MP43; I don't know what the situation was, but it happened just after the train passed by Pine Brook Rd or thereabouts. While driving to Farmingdale, I saw 2 Tinton Falls Fire vehicles racing towards the area, so something was definitely up.

Anywho, this was a special run for me, as a certain young man who I met while chasing a Santa Train 5 or 6 years ago is now in his early 20's and has hired on to Conrail as a conductor. I'm not sure if this was his first trip down the Southern, but it was very cool to see Chris realize his goals in person. Keep up the good work, my friend....

Underneath the GSP........
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4961706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pulling up to Extech, as Chris exits the cab to throw the switch.......
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4961708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And attaching the FRED to the empty brick car.......
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4961709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
 #1474026  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Thanks for the info Donny. Keep us informed today.

Chris, I caught it at Maxwell and Wayside, but at Wayside, I could see down near Pine Brook Rd, and the train was taking an awful lot of time to get to Wayside. Don’t know if it caused it to slow down. And also the conductor was super nice.
 #1474052  by NJT4149

Sounds like the 31 crew will take the train back today. Should be an afternoon run
 #1474074  by RailsEast

If the crew left Browns at 12:30, then you figure 50-60 minutes to Lakewood in this traffic, and the train is ready to go right now per a friend. Inspection/brake test, leave Lakewood at 2:00ish, drill Brick Recycling/BelRay at 3:00ish, so Red Bank at 4:45ish, if my theory is correct. I know there's a cutoff time (5:00pm?) for them coming west due to rush hour trains, but I'm not sure about an eastbound move.

Just a theory, and it is the railroad we're dealing with here, so.........

Chris
 #1474081  by RailsEast

Ok, so my theory was not quite correct; per a report from the field, train is on the move, but running late, not yet to Farmingdale at 4:00 in the pm.
 #1474736  by NJT4149

trainster78 wrote:Currently in Red Bank for it, thanks Donny
I might get them in Tinton Falls while I’m on my way to get the NS 066. 31 holding for one train
 #1474741  by trainster78

NJT4149 wrote:
trainster78 wrote:Currently in Red Bank for it, thanks Donny
I might get them in Tinton Falls while I’m on my way to get the NS 066. 31 holding for one train
Wish I could’ve gone for the 066, however a buddy told me it would pass one of those Railstream things so I resorted to that instead. If it’s still in over the weekend I’ll probably search for it.