Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1471337  by RailsEast

CSX 4432 with CSX 6160 plus 18, by Sycamore Ave at 4:55 in the pm. Looks like 16 lumber, one tank, one gon.
Chris
 #1471342  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Looks like Shrewsbury Ave. crossing had a malfunction... again! The train went by and the gates went up and down a couple of times...
 #1471354  by OCtrainguy

Murphy's Law in action tonight. I had some time after work to try and see the SA31. They approached the Asbury Road grade crossing a bit after six o'clock. For reasons unknown to me, the train stopped between the crossing and Collingwood Auction, bAack far enough to deactivate the crossing. The train was still stopped when I left at six thirty.
 #1471357  by RailsEast

Stephen, they had to drill Extech just beyond the Asbury Road crossing to pick up an empty, so stopping short of the crossing is standard operating procedure. Why they took so long to complete the drill is another question...

Thanks for the heads-up today, Erik; depending on where you were in Jersey it was between 88 and 92 degrees for the second day in a row. I took advantage of the still fairly low sun angle to catch the crew at one of my usual spots. Big trains lately and no end in sight for the booming construction business in Lakewood.......

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4948115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
 #1471364  by OCtrainguy

Chris, yeah, I saw the boxcar and figured they'd grab it. So I was anticipating a short delay in getting the engines cut from the train. What really took the extra time only the crew will know.

And excellent job with the photo, by the way.
 #1471369  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

No problem Chris! It was steamin' today but I was able to get in a chase...
Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTj04I3gPp0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (5/3/18)
I will keep Railroad.net more informed now because my scanner is fixed.
BTW Chris, Where was that shot from?
 #1471377  by RailsEast

I could divulge my secret spot, Erik, but then I'd have to shoot you. Nice try, young man..........

(Ha! But seriously, I was only a couple of hundred feet south of you; just go to the south end of that parking lot & walk up the paved driveway)
(And don't tell anyone, I don't need a dozen foamers crowding me for the next shot)
:-)

Chris
 #1471403  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

No worries Chris... I like to shoot where nobody else it because I don’t want to have the same footage or pictures as them... So I woun’t bother ya.
 #1471435  by RailsEast

I'm just bustin' ya', Erik.....you could also drive behind that small shopping center next to the Verizon building on Shrewsbury Ave (just before Patterson Ave). Be careful for delivery trucks back there, and better to shoot this month than in August because the vegetation grows up a bit and gets in the way of your photo/video.
Good luck........
Chris
 #1471464  by RailsEast

In the first scene of your 5/3 video, you are at Patterson Ave in Shrewsbury in that small office park. If you turn around from where you were standing, go to the back of that same lot (southward), then turn right & park. Walk up the one-way driveway (fairly steep hill) and continue to the fence by the Verizon service building. Go left down to the fence around Simmons Pond & that is the spot.
I am a still-photo shooter...I think you should try to get there for a video, as I have never seen a video from that location. E-mail me if you need more info.....
You can do it, I have faith in you...... :-)

Chris
 #1471516  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Ok Chris! I will use Google Earth to help me out a little more... Btw, I know your a very good photographer, but do you post your photos anywhere? I would really like to see them... I know you have RR pictures and Rails East, but do you have a collection?