• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

@RailsEast With respect, I don’t see how you can determine that if you weren’t there.
  by Bracdude181

Hallcon Van is here but they don’t have an SA38 crew with them. Might go back tomorrow as PR19 if SA38 doesn’t show up later.

Woodhaven is being drilled so thankfully getting them done won’t be a problem god forbid this train sits here all weekend.
  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Bracdude181 wrote:The train stopped in between Maxwell Rd and Hope Rd...
I’ve seen this happen a few times in the past. They would stop right next to the golf course for no reason…

Bathroom break!? :P
  by Bracdude181

@Jersey Rail Filmmakers They stop there quite frequently. Usually for 10-20 minutes every time they come down...
  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Looks like CSX 4421 replaced CSX 6242 in browns yard, according to the Browns yard Facebook group.

It’s RS5T time :wink:
  by R&DB

Hear my train a coming wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:18 pm You're a big tough guy. We're all VERY impressed.
R&DB wrote:These guys should be very happy I'm not their boss. They would be gone.
There are no customers where they stopped for most of an hour. Then they take a dinner break for a similar duration in Farmingdale. They are paid to deliver freight, not sit still to wrack up hours. I have been an employer (have you?) and would not pay employees that didn't do the job. I removed them. It is bucsiness, not some macho ego crap.
  by cx4storm

I'm receiving and decoding HOT device packets.

First HOT packet was received at 1455 Hrs (2:55 pm).
  by cx4storm

First EOT device packet received at 1525 hrs. (3:26 pm)

Motion Status Value = 1 - Indicates that the EOT Device is in motion.
  by cx4storm

cx4storm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:28 pm First EOT device packet received at 1525 hrs. (3:25 pm)

by cx4storm

First EOT device packet received at 1525 hrs. (3:25 pm)

by CharlieL

R&DB wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:40 pm
Hear my train a coming wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:18 pm You're a big tough guy. We're all VERY impressed.
R&DB wrote:These guys should be very happy I'm not their boss. They would be gone.
There are no customers where they stopped for most of an hour. Then they take a dinner break for a similar duration in Farmingdale. They are paid to deliver freight, not sit still to wrack up hours. I have been an employer (have you?) and would not pay employees that didn't do the job. I removed them. It is bucsiness, not some macho ego crap.

And that's part of the reason the small independents are generally (not always) successful. They're hungry, going after business the big guys and conrail chase away, and run a tight ship. If they pay similar scales (I have no idea), they make up for it by running that tight ship. It is after all a business, which will disappear if it's not profitable. The laws of economics are well known, and strict.
  by GSC

Could be union rules require a break. Between Maxwell and Hope Rd., the golf course has a small luncheonette and bar, open to the public. Not to say they are drinking, but maybe grabbing a sandwich and coffee there. Kind of a secret, the people losing their homes after Sandy (using officers' housing on the golf course) made use of the luncheonette quite often, as well as the bar. The time required to run from Brown's to the NJCL and the Southern might require a break time. Some of you guys know the crew, maybe ask them.
  by Sirsonic

I could call out specific people/posters here, but no need, you all know who you are.

Many years ago, this website had a number of railroaders who were frequent contributors. We shared information, insight, and our thoughts. Over the years, the number of us who do so regularly has dwindled significantly, and it will continue to do so. Why? Because of comments like those recently posted here.

You don't know why a crew stops at a certain location. You don't know the rules we operate under, the requirements of our jobs, the endless regulations we are required to not only be thoroughly conversant with but also comply with without exception. You are not included in the communications that we have with our supervisors, support staff, and co-workers. You don't know.

Every time we see buffs who fashion themselves not only railroad experts, because of how long they've hung around trackside, but feel the need to publicly discuss what they feel are rule violations or other misdeeds you drive us farther away. Every time you want to act as though we are some type of entertainer, here for your enjoyment, you create the "miserable guy" who ignores your wave, leaves the door open, reports you when we see you trespassing, generally makes things less enjoyable for you.

Some railroaders are enthusiasts themselves, some are just here for a job. Even the lowliest new hire, however, is more qualified, more experienced, and more informed about all the facets of our job, and if you insist on acting as though we are here for you to nitpick, well, we don't need you to do our jobs, and we're happy to do it without you.

Stay humble.
  by RailsEast

Thank you, Sir.

And thanks for honoring jtgshu, a good RR man, may he rip.

Chris
  by R&DB

#1578628 by Sirsonic
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:46 pm
Sirsonic, you are quite right. I do not know railroading rules / regulations. I was just looking at it from a business point of view. Late deliveries and higher labor costs just seem un productive to me. I apologize to all who feel offended by my comments.