Railroad Forums 

• CP Burn-Can We "Fan" There Anymore?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1120709  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I only live about 25 mins. from CP Burn in Allentown. I used to go there frequently in the Conrail era. I haven't been there since late '98 or early '99. Last time I was there CR police made us leave. I hear under NS it is even more forbidden to railfan there. Is this true? I have heard that you can stand on the side of the street and they can't say anything.How good are the angles from there and where can you park? I'd really like to stop by and see how it has changed. I know the huge gas tank is gone.
 #1125091  by cr9615

Technically you can stand on the road, yes. The traditional spots that were OK during the CR days are strictly off limits though. There are many better locations in the general area on the Reading Line that are much better (Emmaus/Macungie/Alburtis). Also, if you do go there I certainly would not stand as close to the tracks as the videographer in the prior clip did because you would most certainly attract attention of authorities for any prolonged stay.
 #1125454  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I was by there last Friday and Sunday. Definitely NOT the place it was under CR. Weeds have grown up where we once parked and they have dumped ballast piles in there. Big NO TRESSPASSING signs all over the place. B*tch is there is nowhere to park along that street.
I got cool stuff in Topton and at Canal Park in Allentown.
 #1126037  by train2

Not to offend anyone who things this is a great spot: BUT, I had a fan take me there several years back saying all the way there that it was a great spot he had read about on the internet. When we arrived, I took one look at the location and turned to ask my friend, "so where is this great spot you talked about?" He pointed and said we are here. I looked at him and said sorry not much here, very so-so photos and asked it he would be offended to go somewhere else.

So my question is was it simply volume that made this place? The location itself was below average, so it was not a great photogenic locale. I always wanted to know what drew people to this place? And I ask this in all honesty, not to offend?

T2
 #1126278  by Schuylkill Valley

CP Burn was once known as East Penn Junction , Where you had the Reading , Lehigh Valley and Central Railroad of New Jeserys once crossed paths. Here is a blue print from the Reading Company.

Hope this helps,
Len.
 #1126307  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Burn was a "hot spot".Many trains in short time. I remember getting old ALCS with NINE(!) CSX engines. Everything from wide cabs to a GP 30.
Meets were common. One train going in yard while another comes out.
 #1128791  by cr9615

train2 wrote:Not to offend anyone who things this is a great spot: BUT, I had a fan take me there several years back saying all the way there that it was a great spot he had read about on the internet. When we arrived, I took one look at the location and turned to ask my friend, "so where is this great spot you talked about?" He pointed and said we are here. I looked at him and said sorry not much here, very so-so photos and asked it he would be offended to go somewhere else.

So my question is was it simply volume that made this place? The location itself was below average, so it was not a great photogenic locale. I always wanted to know what drew people to this place? And I ask this in all honesty, not to offend?

T2
Never understood either. Many better spots to the west with equal traffic.
 #1128815  by charlie6017

It was obviously better spot in the days before Conrail. The Reading and Lehigh Valley were the
roads that ran these tracks and the Central of New Jersey was nearby. There was a nice photo
prop with the huge UGI gas tank that is now gone.

In these days post-9/11, it's not as easy to be able to sit trackside and watch trains without
the police stopping by to make sure you're not a threat. NS police are normally around somewhere
protecting their company's assets as they are paid to do. It's just the way of the world.

In my opinion........the best way to railfan "CP-Burn" is to railfan "East Penn Junction." Buy some of the
many books that are available of this area or if you like video, http://www.johnpmedia.com has many DVDs available.

Charlie