• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

b&m 1566 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:19 am What happened to the railroads wikipedia page? It's been sliced and diced, half of the info that used to be there is gone.

Wikipedia is a double-edged sword: anyone can add information, and anyone can delete that information.
  by BandA

The thing about wikipedia, you can go in and correct it. If they removed info incorrectly then either put it back or go on the talk page. If there is an issue with the structure, that's a little harder. I've had a few additions i've added removed "because there was no citation"...at that point i lost interest in that page. I also put some work into a page that I had as a draft, and it went "pffft" gone, so take some back ups yourself. So many websites just blatantly plagiarize wikipedia, and there is a lot of wikipedia that is too bare-bones.
  by b&m 1566

I made a handful of edits years ago but that was about it. It had been a little while since I visited that page, needless to say I was surprised to see how chopped up it was. I spent some time going through the discussions and edit comments, it appears someone went in there with and iron fist and basically said "this is how it's going to work from here on". That same person got one of the admins involved and has done little to no editing since. The way I see it, if your going to claim yourself to be the person to fix the page, then fix it! All they've done though is left the page a total mess.
  by CSRR573

If you go into the revision history 2 guys kept fighting about what was relevant info and what wasn't like two children. the admins then locked the page and its been left mid-fight version since. I took great offense to this since i was the one who added most of the information on that page back in 2006
  by MEC407

If you contact the admin who locked it and explain the situation, they might unlock it and allow you to fix it up again.

Of course, there's no guarantee that one of the other editors won't mess it up again.
  by b&m 1566

Took a look at the schedule for 2022. Some significant changes again this year. Bartlett has been permanently replaced by Sawyers River. Mountaineer starts May 21, with a photographers special, that train is turning at Fabyan Station. For the 2nd year in a row, (3rd year if you included the Covid reopening schedule) the Mountaineer will only be operating on Tuesday's, Thursday's & Saturday's. Daily departures have also been removed from the schedule during their busy autumn season but there will be departures going right to the last Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Still no dinner trains for 2022.
  by Who

The autumn season is their busiest time of year, the elimination of daily departures for the Mountaineer during that time has to be a mistake, that train is sold out nearly every day.
  by p42thedowneaster

No, I think it's just out of season at the moment. 1751 is the first gen that may be sidelined for a bit due to wheel issues (that can be resolved, if its needed).
  by b&m 1566

As a casual observer, I don't think you will see 573 be used as the work horse it once was anymore. I think the big 3 will handle the lion's share going forward. 1751 and 573 will probably be relegated to backups rolls. 4266 & 4268 will be limited to special events and backups to the backups. I suspect 7470 will have a little bit more of a regular schedule but probably extremely limited, maybe one or two days a week and maybe even only one or two departures on those days.
  by ConwayScenic252

Hey. Back here again. Just would like to share some theories for 2022. Also replying to the recent post about the changes.

1:) Sawyer’s River becoming permanent makes some sort of sense. They used it a lot last year and there’s no reason to go the extra few miles from Bartlett if they can. It is used during January for the steam event so there’s no reason not to use it in November-December and early season in April.

2:) Unless I’ve completely missed something, I’m surprised CSRR has not announced the photo charter outside their website. They posted on social media last year so unless they’re waiting for maybe #4268 or something.

3:) I don’t expect to see #7470 until Labor Day Weekend. The fire was big for them and they’re no Strasburg where they are experts at daily steam operation, and can take [#475] from pieces into an operating locomotive in one year. However, they could possibly get it done soon if a contractor comes in like with #252.

4:) We already know, #4266 and #4268 will doublehead the 470 Excursion. It has been basically confirmed.

5:) #255 (which will be probably painted by high season) and #252 will swap-run the notch while #216 takes the valley. As said in a previous post #573 and #1751 are getting older now. It seems likely but I don’t know.

6:) #72 will be probably begin restoration. No clue but it seems likely.

I’ll update my theories as the year goes on.
  by NHV 669

4268 has been testing under its own power, we'll probably hear about the group's next project at some point this year.
  by Who

If they can get #4268 blue carded on time, I'm hoping the Mountaineer special in May, will be pulled by the two F units.
I don't think #72 will see any shop time right away, I hear #501 is waiting on deck and there's a good chance it will be moved into the round house in the near future. Covid, 4268's restoration, 252's break down and now the seemingly never-ending repairs to 7470, keep pushing back the start of #501's restoration. I think they want the restoration done, before #7470's next 15-year inspection is due.