• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

Next week, May 13th - 17th, all Bartlett departures will be diverted down the Redstone Branch and down to the Saco River Bridge; these will be the first trains to go that far east. The reason for the diversion, is because the state will be redoing Rodger's crossing.
  by Dick H

Tomorrow, May 11th, the Conway Scenic Fire Truck is scheduled to be on hand
at the NHSPAAMFA antique fire truck event in Epsom NH from 10AM to 2PM.
From the Epsom Traffic Circle, take Route 28 south for about three miles.
Event will be on the left. Event is free.

Event FB Page Here.

https://www.facebook.com/Walter-Sanborn ... 597950696/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NHV 669

Boxcar and flat have been moved from Sawyer River siding down to Bartlett, and a ballast train is out that way as well. Will head that way in a bit and see if things are still on the move.
  by theseaandalifesaver

b&m 1566 wrote:Next week, May 13th - 17th, all Bartlett departures will be diverted down the Redstone Branch and down to the Saco River Bridge; these will be the first trains to go that far east. The reason for the diversion, is because the state will be redoing Rodger's crossing.
How will that work? Doesn't the Redstone branch head in an opposite direction than Bartlett?
  by NHV 669

theseaandalifesaver wrote:How will that work? Doesn't the Redstone branch head in an opposite direction than Bartlett?
That's the point. I just returned from as far east as Glen. Work at Roger's Crossing is well underway, one of the cantilevers is partially up, lots of equipment from JP Sicard onsite. The road is very well torn up, and a track panel is ready to go in.

An ancient flat is on the east leg of the Bartlett wye, loaded up with signal boxes. The boxcar and flat are now on the siding west of the freight house.

The loaded ballast train with 216 was parked just west of Sawyer's River, no sign of any crew, with the "new" Caterpillar sitting next to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NHV 669

Not sure what the little red car at the end of the train was, looked like a platform of sorts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by b&m 1566

theseaandalifesaver wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:Next week, May 13th - 17th, all Bartlett departures will be diverted down the Redstone Branch and down to the Saco River Bridge; these will be the first trains to go that far east. The reason for the diversion, is because the state will be redoing Rodger's crossing.
How will that work? Doesn't the Redstone branch head in an opposite direction than Bartlett?
They're only using the RDC during the week, the engineer only needs to change ends as the conductor throws the switch.
  by Calebharris39

NHV 669 wrote:Not sure what the little red car at the end of the train was, looked like a platform of sorts.

I believe those are a "lowboy" of sorts to haul a mini excavator or small front end loader like theirs. I saw bnsf use those in montana before just around the yard to haul their little mini excavator up to glacier np
  by RTM

I'm new to this so please be courteous to me, I'm a female railfan & love steam trains. I read that they bought a steam locomotive from a club or something, what can anybody tell me about it/
  by b&m 1566

I guess the trips to Redstone and the Saco River Bridge, were very well received by the passengers who got to experience it all last week. Passengers were allow to get out and walk out onto the bridge and take in the sights and sounds for a few minutes before the return trip. It appears management is now looking into making this a regular departure point with the RDC throughout the regular season. It's really exciting to see how they are looking to maximize and expand their boundaries and offer riders a unique experience; the crown jewel of that ride is easily Pudding Pond but it's not every day where you can get out and walk out on to a railroad bridge with a train only feet from you. As management works out the logistics of this new departure, one can only speculate on what kind of service this branch will see, at least for this year it will be based on crew availability and timing between the other regular train departures.

I'm still hoping for notch train departures over Memorial Day Weekend but I've given up hope (yet again) of it happening this year. As I tell myself every year, maybe next year will be the year. In baseball terms, I'm batting 0-13 right now.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Tue May 21, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Otto Vondrak

Did anyone get sunny photos of the Budd car at Saco River Bridge? I'm looking for something to publish in R&R...

-otto-
  by CGRLCDR

My wife and I have reservations for the Notch Train in mid-June. We're really psyched (mostly me) to ride in the dome car. I came across this video on the B&M/MEC Mountaineer on YouTube. It covers both diesel and steam with lots of shots of the engine house and helpers working out of Bartlett. Cool stuff. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhY9-riqvk&t=2460s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;