Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1491434  by Dick H

St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railroad. Runs from Danville Jct., near Lewiston ME
to Island Pond VT and continues in Canada as the SLQ. The SLR passes through
Groveton NH, and connects there with the NH Central RR.
 #1491485  by Dick H

The PAR OCS train traveled to Planeville CT and back and is likely at East Deerfield today.
There was one report that it will travel to White River Junction and back to East Deerfield,
before returning to Maine. I would not be surprised if it hangs around ED until the new
dome car for the CSRX arrives at Albany and CSX takes it to Rotterdam Jct. and gives it
to PAS/PAR to take to Maine. PAR can drop it at Danville Jct. for the SLR to take to
Groveton for the NHCR to Hazen's for the CSRX to pick up for the run to North Conway.
Much better than hauling with a freight train across parts of NY, MA and NH into ME.
 #1491568  by gokeefe

TrainDetainer wrote:
Anywhere else that routinely runs two dome cars outside of Alaska?
Royal Gorge and Mt.Hood RR also come to mind.
Those trains and the also mentioned Canadian is great company to be in.
 #1491586  by johnpbarlow

The sleeper in the nerail posted photo, ex-CSX Mississippi, is now owned by Pan Am as an addition to its OCS consist. The Conway Scenic is getting dome car Silver Splendor which is ex-CB&Q Silver Buckle from the Denver Zephyr consist.

http://www.larail.com/our-rail-cars/sil ... er-lounge/
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1491599  by MEC407

I hope this new addition makes it a little easier for me to get a ticket! I've been trying for three years to get a seat in the dome on the Notch Train, and it's always sold out whenever I want to go. Congrats to Conway Scenic for picking up such a nice addition to the fleet.
 #1491649  by Dick H

I was not able to calculate the exact total rail miles between shipping the Silver Splendor
via PAS/PAR and SLR to Groveton, or sending it to Montreal and over to the SLR down to
Groveton, but it appears it would be around 400 rail miles either way. If the latter route,
it might go on the Adirondack to Montreal.
 #1491699  by NHV 669

The OCS was already in WRJ Thursday, departing sometime overnight. Was parked on the WACR: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/677574/, but never went north.

The owner stated himself, it would be tacked to a freight beyond ALB, so either routing seems possible.